Budget help.

income is about 2000 a month getting paid weekly 480/550/480/550

Rent 675/month
Daycare 180/month
food 150/2 weeks
car gas 60/week
elect 130?/month (guessing have not moved yet)
water 40/month
phone service 40X2 or 80/month (due the 10th and 14th)
visa 16/month due (due 23rd)
title loan 45/month (due the 20th)
State medical 20/month (due 20th)
car ins 127/month (due the 10th)
internet 37/month
netflix 11/ month (due 20th)

how would you disperse the payments? Everything seems to be due at once!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• Not sure how "new" your loans are (house, car), but sometimes when they are first set up, yo ucan call and ask to have your due dates changed. This might help with the shuffling of bills........can't hurt to try! Good Luck!
    Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You can always call the utilities places and see if they can move your payments back a couple weeks. Ours is set up where the mortgage comes through on the 1st and the rest comes out on the 16th. Much easier that way :o)

Good Luck!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 4:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I plan to cut the netflix if must but the internet is needed for school. I can also cut my ins to min coverage on both cars but I would be screwed if anything happened... We could alos cut to one phone but it would be hard.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• how big is your family size? the stuff that can be downsized, i would try that first. like the grocery bill, electric & water, etc.

can you cut the credit card off? no more credit card bill.

whatever day he gets paid, look at what bills are due first. pay those first, and if something isnt due til the next pay period, wait til then to pay it, so whatever money is left-over can be used for food or other necessities that week.

if times get really hard, cut off the internet, netflix & phone bill.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I hope you will consider the dave Ramsey group on here. The ladies are awesome at helping with budgets.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• it seems as if you would be eligible for food stamps and that would maybe take away the 300 for food. We got them before and were making around that much. i think then we got 324.00, but we are not eligible anymore.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well your total comes to $1901 a month in expenses.....if you could pay off some of the smaller things, such as the visa and title loan, perhaps switch to a landline phone for awhile and shut off the cell phones, get rid of netflix (library is free)....and at least give yourselves a little bit of breathing room then it would be easier to save an emergency fund and be able to space out the monthly bills a bit easier. The rent would pretty much be paid by the last months last paycheck (and a little bit of the week before), so your first paycheck of the month can cover utilities....perhaps do a 1 month grocery shopping trip the next week and plan your meals and shop at stores like Aldi or Save-A-Lot (my family of 4 spends roughly $50-$60 a week on groceries)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• water is flat with the apt. family of 4. elect we are working on lowering and I was guessing any way. we will be heating and cooling a 1300 sq foot apt. credit card is cut off the bill is the remaining balance from when we got married(yeah I know...my mom said not to do that....)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• We cut our netflix when we got laid off as well. If we want to watch a movie, we just go to the Redbox. Can't beat $1 for a nights rental :o)

I also made sure that the lights are turned off. I have all the energy saver bulbs in as well. It's like a cave in my house during the day but hey, whatever keeps the electricity bill down. Small cut backs like that will make a huge difference. I have my own garden in the back so that helps with some of the fresh produce. I live in Texas so some things just won't grow in the heat we have here.
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 4:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• not eligible for food stamps here(sucks). We qualify for section 8 but the waiting list is full and the list takes 2 years anyway. We both work by the way. I am part time at a good rate but he is in sales, commission or min wage. He tends to bring home between 550 and 700 a month but normally 550ish.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2011