What would you do?? (kinda long)

So my son is 3 years old, he will be 4 in May. He had to have most of his teeth removed or caped back in Feb. His front 4 teeth were removed, the dentist said he would be fine with no teeth until his permanent teeth came in. Well I didn't really like that cause i know teeth are a major complex. So we got pedi partials, they are fake teeth that they wire in to his back teeth. Insurance wouldn't pay for it cause it was cosmetic , so i spent $600 on them. Well they fell out about two months ago, they didnt hurt him when fell out. So I got them put back in, well they fell out again about 3 weeks after we got them put back in. I don't know if its worth the hassle of having to go all the time just to get them in. I know if wouldn't bother me to just leave them out. The only thing is my son has a hard time speaking clearly without them and he says he wants the back in cause he looks silly. Just wanted to know what y'all would do??

jasesmommy0529

Asked by jasesmommy0529 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh my goodness....why did all his teeth have to be removed and is this going to be an ongoing problem with his permanent teeth would be my concern. If you have already shelled out all that money, and not having teeth there is impeding with his speach, are there any other options? Can you get any other advice or suggestions from other dentists? Second opinion....Good luck
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 12:03 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• He had GERD, and it somewhat ate the enamel off his teeth, the reason we had to have them removed it where it wouldn't effect his adult teeth. We have been to 7 different dentist....They all said about the same thing, that it wont matter if he has his teeth or not. I even took him to his pediatrician and she said the same thing too.
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• At his age I would just leave em out. Tell him how lucky he is to be so far ahead of the rest of the kids in his class and when he has all his new teeth grow in he will be the most handsome in his class. It won't be a big deal to him after you have chat with him. My son had most of his teeth pulled out about that age his perm, teeth are beautiful and he is almost sixteen. Everything be fine!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 12:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I wouldn't put them back it. If you put them back in cause he thinks he looks silly then he'll grow up to think that looks are important. He's three, he'll get over it. And like countrygal said, tell hi he's specail and it'll be ok.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• If your son wants them back in,...it is a self esteem issue, and more practically, he can't speak clearly without them. I would DEFINITELY put them back in.
    SurgicalSarah

Answer by SurgicalSarah at 8:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• If this were my son I would make the effort of going back each time to have them put back in. He is telling you he doesn't feel right about it so I would honor what your child is telling you. And then I would praise my son for telling me how he feels. If you pay attention to him now he will know he can come to you in the future and you will be open to his needs. Plus not being able to speak clearly is a hard on little ones to socialize with other children. I worked with a child who could not talk clearly and all the kids in the neighborhood didn't like playing with him b/c of his speech.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• How do they keep breaking? If he is doing it then no but if they are accidents then maybe. He's three and he's telling you he wants them. Not many three year olds would do that. Maybe this is a big deal for him to have teeth. Just remind him that everyone looses those baby teeth he just lost them a little early and if he still wants them ask him why and explain to him that image isn't everything and if he still wants too you might want to go get them fixed.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• First, is the GERD being treated? That can be such a terrible chronic condition. I hope he's *comfortable* at this point. If it was me, I wouldn't put them back in. I would tell him that I thought he looked gorgeous the way he is. You could also try telling him that he looks like a 6 YO---which for him is probably a *big boy*! Do you have any pictures from when you were a kid and you lost your teeth? Show him those. He'll see that they will eventually grow back in and that it'll all be fine. Try focussing on the good things about not having those teeth. Eventually the topic shouldn't even come up. If he sees you constantly trying to *fix* it, he'll think that all that is important is how he looks---not who he is. He's lucky he's this young. By the time it would become an issue, his adult teeth will start coming in.
    Dooltl

Answer by Dooltl at 12:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I wouldn't be paying for them to be put back in, they obviously made a mistake when they put them in in the first place. But I don't think that a 4 year old will get a complex about having no teeth. Kids that young don't have issues like that.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2008