Strange question about kids stories/movies.

Ok, please be nice. I might just be very sensitive here but I have never seen info about this anywhere and thought I would ask what other parents have thought or done. My 2.5 year old dd seems to be very sensitive to stories that have a "bad guy" or movies where bad things happen. I will give you an example. At Christmas time my dh was watching "A Christmas Story" thinking it would be fine to have on with the kids around. All of the sudden it came to the scene where the kid gets his tongue stuck to the pole (which I have done as a kid- haha) and my dd's eyes were wide with fright. I had dh stop the movie and explained that the boys mommy came and put water on his tongue and fixed everything etc... but then she woke up crying for several weeks after that.
I just feel that she is not able to understand the whole bad-guy idea yet, even in children's movies like Disney movies etc. And I also kind of feel that she does not need to know about bad things in the world yet. I am just wondering if any other people feel this way too? About what age does that whole good guy/bad guy thing start to make sense to them and how do you know they are ready?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 4.5 year old is just now starting to get it. We are very selective about what he watches.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 4:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You are so right. Kids do not need to have a bad guy. My 4 year old does not want to see any dark character in movies or shows.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• All depends on the kid. Children are fascinated by the fight between good and evil.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My 4 year old son has been watching 80's cartoons since he was about 3 (Thundercats, X-Men, Spiderman, the Avengers, He-Man, She-Ra) He has always been interested in the fight between good and evil, right and wrong, and how conflict can be resolved. He idolizes the strong men and women he sees doing what is 'right' by their standards. Maybe it's a good thing? Each child is different and may view violence good/bad differently.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Each kid is different. My kids love watching the good guy beating the bad guys.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2011