Your allergies vs. your kids' allergies

have you found that your allergies tend to be the same as your kids'? or at least a higher risk of it? i would assume so but i have yet to find any allergies or intolerances in my boys and i have a ton. (tree nuts, tropical fruits, lactose intolerant, wheat/gluten, and various skin sensitivities) i figured out the gluten on my own without a test so i don't know if i'm actually celiac or not.

my brother was diagnosed ADHD at age 5 and was asthmatic, but when my mother took artificial colors, flavors and preservatives out of his diet he was a completely different child.

i worry a bit about my oldest since he is skinny, picky and pale (i was too as a child, i always felt ill but didn't realize it), and so far my middle son gets a skin rash if he has cinnamon or peaches, but those are so random! :P

anyway sorry to ramble. just curious about others' experiences

juliness

Asked by juliness at 4:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Two of my children are allergic to cats. I am not but their dad is. Also all of my kids have seasonal allergies & I do as well. Only one of my daughters is allergic to any foods. (this is out of six kids, btw)
    Anonymous

• I have mild allergies and so does my son, when I started making my own chemical free household cleaners, laundry detergent and other things like shampoo and lotion our allergies greatly improved.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• So far no. My DH is very allergic to brocolli and cauliflower, and he's potentially a celliac. Our DD hasn't shown anything so far besides springtime pollen.

I'm allergic to a lot of perfumes. We haven't tried anything like that on her yet.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Oh, cinnamon is actually more common than you think. Lots of allergies over here . . . the kids are allergic, too, but we all seem to be sensitive to different things.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Neither of my kids have my allergy. I'm only allergic to sulfa medications.
    My one son is allergic to Amoxicillian, but neither I nor his father have that allergy. He also has seasonal allergies but again, neither I nor his father do. My mother does have seasonal allergies, though.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm allergic to mushrooms, so far they're not showing signs but I don't have them in the house! We ALL have seasonal allergies. Other than that we're allergy-free (so far - the mushroom thing popped up just a few years ago for me, and I'm 30! Seasonal weren't a problem either til my 20s).
    Anonymous