I am not a racist and it makes me sooo mad that I am being treated like one.

I am not a racist in any way - I do not have any hate for any race, I dont think any race is better than another. ( just to get that out of the way)

We recently moved to a new town ( this past summer) .... It is a pretty nice neighborhood, there is only about 7 houses on our street and all of them have big yards between them.

A few weeks after moving in we started having trouble with are also new neighbors next door to us ( they move in a few weeks before us) ... They are so loud that we can hear them all the way across our yards ( even when the tv is on) .... and then 2 months after living here there large dog jumped over our fence and attacked our 10 pound puppy. We had a conversation with them after we took our dog to the vet ( our dog had to have stiches) and they said the ONLY reason we are complaining is because they are african american....Which is stupid, we were upset because THIER dog attacked OUR dog....

Ever since that it is like they are purposley trying to annoying us.....I actually seen them pushing our trash cans over more than once... a few weeks ago we had a snow on the ground and there was actual footprints going back and forth ( you can see them going both ways) between our side door and their front door - WHY would they be going to our door -- we couldnt figure that out until we noticed paint scrapped off of it around the handle and the lock ( so we are assuming they tried to get in ?) ....

The last straw was 2 days ago, my 8 year old son got off the bus out front, we have a large puddle around walkway so our son walked around...coming within a few inches of their yard ( he was clearly still in our yard then since they have a fence up on theirs) ...... The guy came out SCREAMING at my child that he needs to f*cking stay out of his yard or we will be sorry -- he goes on and on calling us black haters, and alot of other nasty things....

We dont say anything, we come inside I lock the door and call the cops, because even after we come in he is till outside screaming

when the cops come, he tells them that we are racists and have call them n*ggers several times and this and that - NONE of that has ever happened.... and now the cops are questioning US about all of this like WE did something wrong....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• it's funny how people don't want to be treated any different, but they're the first ones to bring up the fact that they're a certain race. JMO
    Anonymous

• If you don't have the choice of moving, then I guess there is nothing you can do except try to stay out of their way as much as you can, and when things get tense, call the police like you did before. One of the hardest tactics to defend or do anything about is when people accuse you of what they themselves are, which is what sounds like is the case with your neighbors.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Document everything and find yourself a civil lawyer. I would slap them with a civil suit for the dog. I also would call the animal control people and show them where their dog hurt your dog and get them involved. You need a paper trail to show that they are the problem starters, not you. Otherwise all you have is a he said/she said situation. If you have a video camera carry it on you at all times. I would also take photos of the chipped paint on your door. When your son comes off the bus have the camera rolling. This way they know you are video taping them, and if you need it you have it. I would also look into a nanny cam and put it facing outside the house when you are gone. If you catch them messing with the door again thats attempted breaking and entering.

Answer by gemgem at 4:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Personally, I would've called the police when their dog jumped the fence (there are leash laws) and attacked your puppy and again when you found the footprints & damage to your side door and I would be watching to take videos of them knocking over your garbage cans. You need to show that they are being the aggressors to protect yourself & your family. The cops don't know either of you from Adam and they're just trying to get to the bottom of the trouble, so provide them with proof that your neighbors are nasty.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Move.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It is so sad to be reminded how much racism is still alive and well. When minorities play "the race card" unfairly, it undermines the sincere efforts those who intend to combat real racism.

If in your position, I would start documenting everything. Where you have evidence, like the footprints you described, take photos. If you can catch them on video without their knowledge, that would be even better. Be extra careful that you and your family never say or do anything that can be mistaken for racist or malicious behavior. You don't know what the next thing from your hostile neighbors will be, but there is a good chance there will be something. Be prepared to support your position with real evidence, just in case. GL
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'd get one of those security cams so you can catch them coming up to your house & show it to the cops.
    Anonymous

• It's sad when people think they can do the wrong thing and say that the only reason they are being blamed is because of the color of their skin.
    I would have called the cops for the footprint/potential break in thing. I also agree with the poster about getting a security camera. Catch THEM in the act.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Regardless of race, this behavior is unacceptable! It's plain trashy. I would video everything that I possibly could as far as knocking over your garbage cans and screaming obscenities at your children. Good Luck. That is a hard situation to live in
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• moving is not going to solve the problem since someone else will move in to your house and the problem will continue. So document every thing in fact stick camera's out side to catch them i would.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 5:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011