Wish I could make my 4 year old do laundry!

He is too young to understand my frustration and to do laundry, but he changes his underwear EVERYTIME he goes to the bathroom! And they are rarely dirty!

mslksdh

Asked by mslksdh at 5:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• while you are at it maybe he will clean house and do windows that would be great!!!!!!! I know I sure wish I had help when mine were little :)
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 5:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• haha! that is so cute that he changes his underwear everytime.. i wonder why? maybe he thinks he is supposed to!! im sure that does get annoying though!! my 4 year old folds laundry with me.. puts it in the washer and dryer w/ me.. and she loves it!! maybe have him help you out one day w/ all his underwear and see if he hates it so much where he will stop changing his underwear all the time!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 7:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• ha ha buttonlts I bet he would actually like cleaning the windows! They wouldn't be clean but he sure would have fun "washing" them!
    mslksdh

Comment by mslksdh (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• my kid did that too,sigh

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• He's not too young to understand if you explain it to him. He's intelligent and you're underestimating him.
    Show him how to do the laundry and have him help you everytime you do laundry. The earlier you start them on doing chores the easier it'll be in the long run. Not neccisarily easier with getting them to do it, but easier in them knowing how to do it. Don't put him in a box of incapable before you even show him how to do something. That's only going to deture him in the future, maybe even some now, with thinking he can't accomplish anything before he tries it. If you find out he does have trouble with a task then that's when you decide whether to wait longer or keep trying. But before he tries it you can't tell what he's capable of. Give it a try.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My 4 yr old does do the laundry. When it's full he takes it to the washer, adds a cup of soap and tells me to start it. When the wash cycle is done, he swotches the load to the dryer, then calls me to start it. When it's done he puts it in a basket, drags it too his room and put it in his drawrs. He doesn't fold it but all the shirts are in the shirt drawer and all the pants are in the pants drawer.

4 doesn't mean stupid.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Ok I never said he was stupid or incapable! He is 4! He shouldn't be doing laundry he should be playing and being a kid!
    mslksdh

Comment by mslksdh (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My 4yo folds and puts away her own laundry. All 4 of my kids started folding at 3. She's responsible for putting all her own clothes away and for getting her dirty stuff in her basket and into the laundry room. I don't see why they shouldn't do that...they're clothes. They mess them up they can help clean them up. I taught my older 3 kids to do laundry when they were 7, 8 and 9 and they were responsible for their own laundry for a year to teach them how much work it was.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011