Do you know the difference between climate change and man-made climate change?

Asking since some people, despite it coming up for years, just can't seem to keep them straight. Climate change is when the earth wobbles on its axis every 27k years or so (called precession). It changes the distance between the sun and different parts of the planet on a 27k year cycle, and that change in distance causes climate change. You'll find it recorded in the fossil record, the geologic record, and on a smaller scale in known history where they have documented the various ice ages, glacial melts, and the most recent "little ice age" corresponding to the Dark Ages.

Man-made climate change is the idea that the parasitic species known as homo sapiens is SO powerful, they have the ability to alter that 27k year cycle, which has been recurring for over 4 billion years, to the point that it could actually do damage to the planet (as opposed to temporarily damaging the homo sapiens' immediate environment in ways that require them to adapt or die out, leaving a perfectly intact planet which will thrive with or without them for at least another 4 billion years).

Is there still some part of that that isn't clear, since some people keep running around insisting people who fully acknowledge and understand climate change actually don't, just because they don't also subscribe to the silly notion of man-made climate change that's more powerful than 4.5 billion years of nature?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Would it be safe to say that followers of the man-made climate change idea are narcissists?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 5:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• We are but a blip on the screen when you think about how old the universe is- think about powerful volcanic eruptions and the like-
    I think we have polluted the earth far more than we should have and are not the custodians we should be but have we fundamentally changed the climate- no, I do not think so-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Do you know the difference between climate change and man-made climate change?

***
    Climate change is a naturally occurring process. "Man-made climate change" is an extortionist Ponzi scheme in the making!!

Best Answer goes to DUSTER!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I know the difference ~ I don't buy into one of them. Humans just are NOT that 'powerful' ~ yet.

The one, and ONLY, thing we could do would be to completely fubar the oceans. We're trying. But, the ocean is the only geological part of the planet that we could screw up that has the power to actually affect climate. Bar none. The atmosphere heals itself faster than we can damage it. In fact, it heals itself faster than anything save a super volcanic eruption can damage it. The oceans are a different story ~ and all of the fertilizers, lawn chemicals, fungicides, etc. along with the sewage and other garbage ARE damaging them.

If someone put up legislation to ban ALL of that, I'd support it. I hate 'lawns' anyway ... poor grass :-( Forced to grow just so someone can mow it. That's more idiotic than playing golf and taking a walk where the little ball dictates.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm guessing one just happens and the other made Al Gore a LOT of money>?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think we have polluted the earth far more than we should have and are not the custodians we should be

Indeed X 6.7 billion- I'd say we have done damage as a group-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• EXACTLY..but some have made it their religion..so convincing them of any of this is futile.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

And he keeps pushing it so he can make more and laugh all the way to the bank!!!

If Al Gore were so concerned, he would be living greener himself, not saying "Do as I say, not as I do". The only "green" person I respect is, UGH, brain freeze, that actor that was on St Elsewhere. He LIVES it! Ed Begley, Jr, that's him!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• There are numbers...actual scientific numbers...that show that the level of impact we have had as a species has changed the course of events for our planet.
    I don't think the PLANET is in "danger" perse`...but we HAVE endangered our species' ability to live on this planet.
    Earth will go on...and morph and change...but we will extinguish ourselves through our own greed and denial.

We were powerful enough to make a HOLE in the Ozone layer...why not be willing to see a correlation between our abundant and frivolous use of natural resources and their clear and measurable depletion?
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 6:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You're right. Pollution has no impact on the environment.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011