How can I wean a 14 month old?

I have enjoyed BFing up until now. My son has started biting in his sleep, I work full time and start school soon and its not enjoyable anymore it stresses me out and I dont look forward to doing it. My DH is gone A LOT for work and I cant get any help from family since my son wont sleep on his own and its starting to affect my marriage we dont all 3 fit into the bed anymore. I am proud that even when my son was in the NICU I was able to bf him and give him the best start in life that I could but I'd really like my body back now......

MakingBrinkers

Asked by MakingBrinkers at 5:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you put the crib right up to the side of your bed and put him in it when he falls asleep and over a period of days move the crib further and further away? Also what about a lot of cuddling and a sippy cup at bedtime and tell him milk "all gone". Also join the breastfeeding group here and ask for their advice.
    Anonymous

• Yikes! I weaned mine of nighttime feedings at 6months, just let them cry it out.. it sucked for a couple weeks but after that it was awesome. It's going to be more difficult because he's older. I bf my first until he was 14months and plan to do the same with my youngest (7mo now)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 7:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It'll be painful for a few days, esp if you breatfeed him in the middle of night to go back to sleep. It sounds like your son will be going to a daycare/school or cared by someone else during the day? That should help the situation. If you plan to pump, start spreading the hours or skip a pump, gradually your milk supply will decrease during the day. I would have someone else feed him breast milk in a bottle. If he sees you, he's going to want to nurse. Maybe in the beginning only nurse him at night, then follow-up with another bottle. Ultimately kids adjust, you just have to hold your ground and be prepared mentally that it's not going to be easy. Good luck.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2011