Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I want to change my daughters last name...

My daughter is 2 years old, nd when she was born i had put her biological fathers last name on her birth letter because i thought it would be easier for child support. but i was wrong, it was all the same crap. her biological ffather has not been around at all, she doesnt even know who he is. My boyfriend has been there for her since she was born, nd she calls him daddy. i would really like to change her last name to my boyfriends last name since hes raisin her. But everyone is tellin me that since her biological father had got a dna test nd it came out 99.9% dat hes gonna have to sign papers nd agree to it. But idk if its true.. i would really like to change her last name to my boyfriends, because no matter what happend between me nd him she will always see him as her father nd he will always see her as his daughter....

Answer Question

Asked by Dulce1023 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 5 (99 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • You would have to call an attorney and inquire about this. Why would you want to give her your boyfriend's last name? Why not your last name?? What if you and bf break up??? or are you getting married???

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • my daughter is going through the same thing but all in all does her last name really matter, anyone can have a baby but it takes someone special to be called Daddy no matter what her last name is she will always know who her daddy is, the name means nothing

    Answer by buttonlts at 5:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • Keep your last name if you give her his and things go bad then you have to fight for her in the end

    Answer by buttonlts at 5:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • well i have a son wit him. nd hes been there since the beginning.!! if me nd him ever break up i know he would never leave my daughter nor his son behind. he will always see my daughter as his blood even if shes not. they have a really good reltionship!!

    Comment by Dulce1023 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • Yes he would either have to sign papers giving up his parental rights, and then your boyfriend would be able to legally adopt her....but I would look in to that. You may have to be married in order to do it, and if not it would certainly be a good idea, if anything happened and you and your boyfriend broke up that would be yet another person who'd have to give up their parental rights to change her name again

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • you would have to get the biologicl father to sign his rights away ... and then you BF can legally adopte her!

    Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • I had my daughters name changed at the age of 4 when I remarried, you have to go to a lawyer, he sends a certified letter to her bio dad and also post it in the local news paper 3 times to make sure no one objects. At least thats how they do it here where I live. If no one objects and that includes her father the judge will grant the name change. In my case he didn't object and he had nothing to do with my daughter and was way behind in child support so, the judge did it. Good luck, it is a process!

    Answer by anichols1 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • You have to call an attorney, your going to have to have the ex sign off on it!

    Answer by kimigogo at 5:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • Personally, I would just change her last name to yours and if/when you and your boyfriend get married, then you can change her name to his. Everything might be going great now but you have no idea what could happen down the road. Things can turn around in an instant and then you'd have to go through this whole process again. I'd talk to a lawyer about it because I'm not sure who to go about a name change but I'm pretty sure you can do it on your own and you don't need her father to agree.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • i think your daughter should make that decision when she is old enough to decide.

    Answer by gwen20 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.