Pets around kids

what do you parents think of pets around children..?

japandamommy

Asked by japandamommy at 5:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Pets

• My children love their pets and vise versa
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 5:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• my children do as well butmy parents dont seem to like it..
    i guess maybe because they wernt raised around any idk
    japandamommy

Comment by japandamommy (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It depends on the pet, type and temperment, and the kid. How old is the child? what kind of animal is it? We have a cat.. she is about 8 yrs old. She has been a very good for my 4 yr old, and very patient with my 1 yr old. They are always excited to see her, and as she ages, she mellows a bit. Stephens chore is to feed her *he has a little scoop to measure with.* She is helping him to learn responsibility and when he was sierra's age she taught him to be kind.. She is teaching Sierra the same lesson. Would i leave them with her unsupervised? No. Not really. Neither child is antagonistic though, so retribution from her is slim, though. Other animals may not deal with children well. It all really depends on the pet.. A pit bull? No.. A ferret, only highly supervised. but if you are a responsible pet owner, being around a pet is a great way of teaching children responsibility and kindness to those smaller and fragil then them.
    Candledancer

Answer by Candledancer at 5:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My dog has been around my son forever they are best friends, but it would depend on the temperment of both pet and child!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My pets are family. I think it's a great experience for them to get to kno animals and learn how to respect them as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Candledancer, why single out a pit bull? Apparently you buy into the bad rap they've gotten, but they are actually EXTREMELY people friendly, and great with kids. Nobody should every leave a baby/toddler alone with any dog, regardless of race.

My 2 1/2 year old has been around 7 cats and 2 dogs (including a pit bull mix) since birth, and they have all been wonderful with him.

I think our parents were just raised with a lot more old wives tales, like cats sucking the breath out of babies, stuff like that...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Some people are just not pet lovers. I think like the other posters, it depends on the pet, it and your child's temperament, age of both kids and pets, etc. My mom and sister never cared for pets so they would definitely say no mostly because they think pets aren't worth their time. I know never to leave a pet alone with a young person, but sadly, common sense is not so common.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Keep an eye on both never leave unattended. Gentle kids and or dogs but accidents can still happen.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i think it's fine. but you need to teach the animal and the baby/kid to be gentle.
    xLeeAnnex

Answer by xLeeAnnex at 12:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think they are fine as long as the animal is well mannered and behaves. Also the animal should not bite or claw... or anything that could harm the child... I currently have the problem of my daughter beating my dogs... I am working on it tho.
    annhart19

Answer by annhart19 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2011