How can I get my 1 yr old to brush her teeth without all the fighting and screaming??

My 2 yr old loves to brush her teeth and is pretty good at letting me showing her how to brush her teeth and letting me do it for her when shes not getting the right spots. Now my 1 yr old is a fighting battle. (I have done nothing different from my 2 yr old.) She will scream, fuss, cry, and try to bite. Sometimes I have to hold her down just to keep her still enough to brush her botton and top teeth and that takes me about 5 mins to brush it right! Thanks for your advice!

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hrmm. I am going to tell you this with all honesty. You're making it a pretty scary ordeal for her. Holding her down, shoving that thing in her mouth, etc. I can totally see why she doesn't want to brush her teeth.

Lol, sorry but I actually saw something very similar to this on Super Nanny and within just a couple of days of the parent changing their approach to this the child LOVED brushing their teeth.

Do you ever give her the tooth brush and let her try it herself? If that doesn't work, try and do it with just your finger. Be gentle. Show her it doesn't have to be a horrible experience. Be patient with her.

Every child is different. The routine for your 2 year old is probably not going to work for your 1 year old. Tempers, personalities, etc everything is different. So switch it up and see what works for your youngest.

When in doubt, also make sure she isn't teething. That is the only time our daughter fights us.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• good luck with that i went thru it aswell with both of my children..
    but glad to say all the fighting was well worth it my kids are 6 and 3 and cavity free
    japandamommy

Answer by japandamommy at 5:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Razelda said it all, you can just use a washcloth instead of a toothbrush, also make sure that your using kid toothpaste, the adult kind can sting!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• @ Kim - Yes we use washcloths when our DD is teething. =)
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yeah I have let her brush her teeth too and even let her just chew on the toothbrush with toddler toothpaste on it and thats all she does! thanks mamas!
    navajomama7

Comment by navajomama7 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm a new mom, and I may be completely wrong about this. But...using even toddler toothpaste is not a good idea in my opinion. Letting your kid brush their teeth on their on is a GREAT idea, but all they will do is eat the toothpaste instead of grasping the concept, and the toothpaste is not good for their little teeth. (not at one year old anyway) That's just my opinion, ask your doctor for options as well!
    Evylyn

Answer by Evylyn at 11:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Training paste (which is what she should be using) does not have the same ingredients as adult toothpaste. It is safe.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My son loves to brush his teeth. Maybe ur one year old don't like the taste. Sometimes letting them brush it their own way works best. just means u will have to brush a little more. My sons dentist told me that these are only baby teeth so teaching him how to just brush is good hygiene. How to do it right will come later. Hope it helps.
    proudmommy42008

Answer by proudmommy42008 at 2:10 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Give her a doll or stuffed animal, and a toothbrush, and you can brush your babies' teeth together

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 AM on Feb. 27, 2011