How do you prepare/cook eggplants?

Im trying to get more vegetables in our family diet. I picked up egg plants. My husbad immediately started to complain. So I want to make a good dish using the egg plant. Any suggestions? Thanks

suzzanna

Asked by suzzanna at 5:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• babaganoush! IT is like hummus and you pierce the eggplant and roast it in the oven,, also eggplant parmesean it awesome, althought not low fat!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• So, some say you are supposed to slice it, lightly salt it, let it sit for a few hours to get some of the water out, and then roast until soft.

But, many, times, I have just peeled it, diced it, and cooked it with some Olive oil in a skillet until tender. You can process it for baba ganoush or you can take the cooked mixture, add some parmesan and rcicotta for a yummy lasagne layer.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I usually cut it lengthwise then brush it with olive oil and salt it. Cut up a couple of red bell peppers and throw in some garlic. Then put it in a roasting pan and toss it all together. Put it in the oven on about 400 for an hour. When it gets out I toss it with some red wine vinegar and olive oil mixed with a little dijon mustard. Serve it on top of crusty french bread. Sooooo yummy!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Bump because I was about to ask this exact same thing!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You can roast it as mentioned above but instead of the vinegar and oil mix it with cooked pasta. You can add other veggies to roast also like mushrooms, peppers, and zucchini. Delish.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I chunk it up and add it to my homemade spaghetti sauce. I've roasted it before adding to the sauce also. One thing to remember - you cannot cut & immediately cook! After slicing or chunking (I do it as I cut), sprinkle very liberally with salt. Throw it in a collander in the sink. The salt draws out the bitter juices - if you don't do this, it will taste nasty no matter how you cook it! It only takes about 30 minutes. Rinse well, then pat dry, and prepare.
    Anonymous

• These little boxes are too small for recipe. I have a fantastic stew recipe with eggplant, and a few others. Send me a message if you are interested

Answer by rkoloms at 11:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Sorry i meant to say smash not (ass)
    Gran1954

Answer by Gran1954 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Brown 1 # Ground meat, salt, pepper, garlic, onions and bell peppers

Boil 3 eggplant until soft and drain well drained smash eggplant and add to the above
    with 1 can cream of mushroom soup ( mix well)

put in a casserole dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake covered for 30 min. @ 350 deg.
    if you would like it a littl browner u can take foil off and brown a littl more (I do)

People don't eat eggplant have asked me for this, they love it
    Hope you and your family enjoy
    Gran1954

Answer by Gran1954 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I usually slice 'em, salt the slices, put 'em on paper towels with another layer of towels on top and put a weight on the whole shebang to press the liquid out for about an hour. After that, there's a number of things one could do: breading and frying, dicing and adding to meat loves, spaghetti sauce, incorporating into lasagna, cutting into strips and adding to stir-fry...eggplant is versatile because it tends to pick up the flavors of what it's being cooked with.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2011