How do ou make homemade chicken pot pie?

I made it one time and it was kinda dry (don't think I used enough cream of chicken soup or something) anyway my DH guys our meat from the meat market in packages so we have so much chicken and I am pregnant right now and therefore don't like chicken right now, but I thought maybe if it was mixed in something I might so I was going to try the chicken pot pie to get rid of some of this chicken. But we also have a short pay this week so I am looking to make it as cheap as possible. We are a family of 4, but DH can eat and so can I as I am pregnant right now lol

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Here is my favorite recipe for Chicken Pot Pie. I am with you -- I also cannot eat Chicken right now but I made this and it was sooo delicious. My husband goes crazy for this pot pie and it is pretty easy to make too:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/lady-and-sons-chicken-pot-pie-recipe/index.html
    BlandBaby

Answer by BlandBaby at 6:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I make the pie dough, but you can buy the premade pie dough or even the frozen pet ritz brand pie shell. I typically cook the chicken as well as the fresh or frozen veggies then mix it with 1 can of cream of chicken soup, I add about half a cup of shredded cheese to it and pour into the pie shell. I top with a little extra cheese and then bake about a half hour. You can add a top crust as well....I personally don't because i'm a diabetic, so I cut carbs by only using the bottom.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• thanks for asking..you bet me to it!! i was wondering the same thing!!
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Cook chicken, chop. Mix veggies - fresh chopped or frozen - carrots & peas for sure, and onions. Make a white sauce. Put it in a baking dish and top with a pie crust. Bake til crust is golden. Do not make with raw chicken, has to be cooked first!
    Anonymous

• Mix all these things together (you can use more or less broth to make the sauce the consistency you want). Cover the bottom of two loaf pans with crust (if you doubled the crust). Pour in the filling, and top with the rest of the crust. Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I usually use leftover chicken from a roast chicken and gravy. If there is not enough gravy leftover, I make a roux of flour and butter and onions, then add chicken broth to make more gravy. I separately gook carrots and potatoes and celery then add those to the gravy and let the veggies soak up the sauce.  I shred my chicken and add at the last minute with some frozen peas and a dash or two of cream.

I don't use canned soup, I think it's yucky texture ruins the gravy

I make a pie crust, dump in the gravy mixture and bake.  Easy peasy

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:23 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• This is an awesome pot pie:

Kadee's Pot Pie, great for lazy cooks like me! You can sub whatever and I'm sure it'll still be good.
    Crust (double this if you also want crust on the bottom, I like it better that way):
    1 c. flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
    1 tsp. salt
    4 tbsp. butter
    1/4 c. shortening (I use earth balance sticks)
    3 tbsp. ice water
    Mix all but the water with a fork until shortening is the size of small peas. Add ice water and mix to pastry consistency. Refrigerate while you mix the filling.
    Filling:
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can vegetable broth
    1 small potato, cut into 1/2" cubes
    1 carrot, sliced
    1 large mushroom, sliced
    1 small can corn (I use frozen)
    1 small can peas (I use frozen)
    about 1/4 tsp. each: sage, thyme, & oregano

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 AM on Feb. 26, 2011