Any Single moms with an SO? adult content

UGh my SO and I fight ALOT about parenting, I get it. I don't discipline the same way he does, and he is scared that my daughter is going to turn into a manipulative daughter
ITS DRIVING ME NUTS.
He gets mad when she sneaks into the fridge, he gets mad when she asks for snacks after he gives her one and he starts cooking something for himself and then says no you cant have a piece of cheese untill u finish your carrots or whatever.. I agree with this yes.. but then he said she only ate half of the carrots he gave her and theres like a bite and one carrot left..
UGH SIGH I'm so sick of fighting over anything and everything but I want this goddamned relationship to work out because i Love him, and he loves me, hes patient and kind and loving and alot of things but im just going crazy...

spitfire06

Asked by spitfire06 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• She is your child, not his. He should not discipline her at all unless he has your express permission to do it.

CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 6:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• sounds like he needs to pick his battles
    is a bite of carrots worth the battle, or save it for bad attitude from child
    i assume he is not a parent, maybe a parenting class for him
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• sounds like he's trying really hard.

try explaining that you pick your battles with kids. it seems like he really cares about her but just isn't sure since he's new to this.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 6:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'd tell him a BALANCED snack is a good thing so some carrots AND some cheese is a good idea.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• wow craftingmama.. i would laugh in your face if i was helping your raise your children and you tell me i couldn't discipline them...

i would talk to him about picking battles.. we tell my daughter the same thing but she isnt a big eater so if she eats majority of it she gets an icecream or cookie...

he is new to it so give him a break.. it took a little while for my husband to pick up on what is REALLY important and what can just be let go... he still has a few things that he is working on but we talk about it.. and not infront of her.

now he is a WONDERFUL daddy to her and our son!
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• He can't get mad at her for EVERY little thing or she'll feel like she can do nothing right at all. And that will make her resent him and then resent you for him being in your lives. Best to tell SO to pick battles, let little things go. Maybe re-set basic house rules with your daughter but smaller things like snacks and such, just tell her to ask first. Don't make a huge thing out of it or she'll be afraid to ask for things, or come to you.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 8:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2011