My baby is almost 3 weeks old and is breastfed and the past couple of days she seems like she is having trouble pooping, she grunts, cries, and turns red, and when she finally goes she is happy and content anything I could do?

BriMom618

Asked by BriMom618 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it depends what are you eating? try eating more fruits papaya and veggies
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Watch what you eat. Things that cause you gas can give her problems too. Try eating cream of wheat or oatmeal and stay away from broccoli and beans. Have you changed your diet?
    aplebottomjeans

Answer by aplebottomjeans at 6:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Your baby may need to go to a gastro specialist. My baby had problems and I tried remedies like apple juice and things like that. I finally had to get a specialist to look at her. That is when I really got to the heart of the problem.Haly's MO. Under doctor's supervision.
    SexiFala

Answer by SexiFala at 6:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I had the same problem. i asked my gramma and she said that it happens to all kids eventually and to take some dark "Karo" (corn syrup) and mix a few drops in your milk/formula/water and they will poop easy after that. but try to stay away from "hinder binders" like broccoli and cheese. i even asked my nurse hotline (it comes with my health insurance) and they said that it was perfectly safe and that's what most doctors recommend for kids so young!! I was amazed at how fast it worked... she pooped 30 minutes later and didn't strain virtually at all and has had no trouble since
    MidniteMochaMom

Answer by MidniteMochaMom at 11:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• try sitting her up....have you ever tried to poo lying down. It might make it easier.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I forgot to add that if a baby is constipated it will be dry pellets. As long as it is a normal movement she may just be having trouble getting it out.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My daughter had the same problem for her first two months. I tried eating everything bran, oatmeal, etc. Nothing seemed to work the doctor even checked to make sure there was no blockages. In the end my doctor told me to add 1 teaspoon of Karo in 4 oz. of breastmilk . He also told me that if after two days she didn't take a normal bowel movement increase it to 2 teaspoons. If after a week he wanted to see her again. Thank goodness it worked.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 12:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Try doing a bicyling manuver with her legs. She may be having trouble opening her anus. She needs to relax all her anus while squeezing her stomache muscles. Lil ones have trouble doing two things at once. Also, if she has gas do the biking manuver wiht her legs or push her legs to her chest. It helps to open her up down there. If she winces, obviously she is uncomfortable so stop, but if she is fine keep doing it to help her pass gas or a BM.
    tazzygurl611

Answer by tazzygurl611 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I agree with tazzy and the others about what your eating. It's also very normal for a newborn to grunt and make faces like that. Remember this is all new to them and they sorta wear their feelings on their sleeve lol They don't understand all these weird inner feelings.
    Check kellymom.com it's an EXCELLENT breastfeeding site, pretty much every question you could have on breastfeeding is answered there.
    I'm very leary of giving newborns anything unless really necessary. Out of 5 kids I've never had to but we've had many bouts with gassiness. It is very rare for a breastfed baby to get dehydrated or constipated too.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Be careful in hotter weather that you are feeding her enough so she does not dehydrate, try to feed more often so her body gets hydrated from the water in your breastmilk.
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2008