Are the cops / firemen / dispatcher to blame ?

There is a local newstory about a teen couple that were killed in a car accident. And now they are investigating the cops/ firemen / and dispatcher because some say that if they had got there sooner the kids would be alive ( and others say they would have died on impact or that there was nothing that could be done anyways -- it hasnt been investigated yet)

I do not think it is thier fault. It played the call in and the guy said that he didnt see anyone around, but described the scene ( the car was split in half and the top was in a tree) ....

It was said that since it was a bad scene it should have been top priority , but since the caller said that he couldnt see anyone then they didnt make it top priority ( they responded to others first ) ..... and now people are mad saying they should be at fault because the teens might not have died.

I think it is very sad, but I also think blaming people who work hard to save people shouldnt be at blame for this... what do you think ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think any accident this bad should be given priority, unless there is a robbery in progress or something like that where they cant come right away.

Answer by gemgem at 6:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well the reason they waited is because they were told that there were no bodies / people there .... so they went to the one were people were more in danger .... I mena like there could have been a robbery or a house on fire ..... when you get a call that there is a car accident but no people found , and then a call for something where it is clear that people are in danger, it is obvious that you would chose that one.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well I'm not saying its there fault but they should have responded to the accident as soon as it was reported. That doesn't look good on their part to say no one was around so we didn't put it at the top of the list. I can see how the victims parents/family/friends would be upset cause if they had responded they possibly could have still been able to save their lives. I guess it will all come out once they do there investigation. That is so sad though. May they both R.I.P.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I can see where people are terribly upset. It's a tragic blow to the families and friends of the teens. It may forever be the chicken and the egg with the case. The reason I replied was because where I live it's sort of the joint where 2 counties meet. If you call 911 from your home phone the two counties will both go back and forth about "who's supposed to respond". All the while you just need help. I know first hand how stupid the system works sometimes. We couldn't blame the fire fighters though...they did what they were supposed to when they finally got the call. It's well known how screwed up it is here. The fire chief gave us his home number and told us to call him directly if there was another fire. It's sad on all parts but I would hesitate to blame emergency completely seeing as they had a person right there at the scene who said they didn't see anyone.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 9:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well an investigation does not mean they will be blamed it means they are looking into it to see if there needs to be blame placed. Really no way to say if what they did was right or wrong until everything has been looked into.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• They should have responded first. If there is a car split in half, and the top in a tree...where exactly do they think the people wandered off too. That description alone should let you know that someone is seriously injured, even if you can't see them. That's just common sense...people don't tend to walk away from cars split completely in half.

That being said, I don't think there needs to be blame placed. It was a car accident. They may never know if the victims would have survived, regardless of the investigation. My heart goes out to the family.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 10:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• What you hear in the press is not necessarily the truth. Remember they are in business to sell airtime or advertising time, and they want you to stay glued to them. They are not in the business of truth.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I think you'd feel differently if it was your child that died unneccessarily.

They didn't know there wasn't people in there. Cars don't just move themselves, there's gotta be someone moving it. They do have a responsibility to make sure someone wasn't there.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:58 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• As an EMT who previously worked with Fire and Police, I can tell you that, well, at least locally, it is NOT our decision on where we go and when. It is the dispatchers. Since there were no bodies, it would definitely have been a low priority call. It is a tragic situation, but no one is to blame. Besides, people crash their cars and leave the scene without calling police all the time. They have every intention of getting a tow, etc, on their own. The only way "blame would be placed" is if a call was placed from the dispatchers to one of these departments and they refused or delayed...
    mpm915

Answer by mpm915 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2011