Didn't they (the mothers, doctors, donors) see this coming? - donor conceived individuals now seeking information on their fathers.

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/02/25/donor-conceived-and-out-of-the-closet.html

I would do the same, if I were in that situation ~

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• They did. They just chose to ignore it & hope the kids wouldnt wonder. Everyone who wants to know where they came from should have the right to know. Whether it be from a donor or from an adoption.
    Anonymous

• I was adopted and know who my birth father is but he too was adopted and does not know who his parents are. It is hard for me. I don't know what to tell me drs when they ask for family medical history. There are good reasons to know that do not even involve having a relationship with the donors.

Anonymous

• If nothing else, they should be required to keep a complete genetic profile on record for the children conceived so they have access to it, for both medical reasons and what genealogical info they can get from it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Nobody is asking the donors to be responsible for a child! The people just want to know where they originate from.
    Anonymous

I was adopted. I kind of found my birthmother....I know what her name was when I was born but not her last name now. I have talked to her on the phone once. I asked about medical info on her side - no history of cancer, etc people tend to die of old age. She gave me birthfather's name but I have never tried to track him down. She told me we would talk again sometime, but we have since moved and our phone number changed and I had no way to give the new ones to her.

You can get some medical information but you can't predict what they may develop as a health problem in the future that you might need to know down the road.

Honestly, I think some women didn't care, they just wanted a baby. Notice I said SOME.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 7:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Anyone who didn't see this coming wasn't adopted. And those who were adopted didn't either didn't speak up or weren't taken seriously.

I don't want to be a part of my birth parents' life. I just want the whole picture. What's the medical history? Who do I look like? What happened? (I suspect that question is more easily answered for a donor baby -- brandy's answer makes the most sense.) And then, with the gaps filled in, I can move on.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Its weird; before I had my son I had always thought I could donate my eggs. But now that I have my son, I really fully understand what it means to have 'your heart walk outside of your body' however corny that may sound.

I don't know that I could do that.

However, I COULD do surrogacy and carry someone else's child conceived from their egg and sperm.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 8:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't want to be a part of my birth parents' life. I just want the whole picture. What's the medical history? Who do I look like? What happened?

***
    Even though I wasn't officially adopted, I WAS originally put up for adoption and placed with foster family and family until I was 2 years old when my mother decided she wanted to keep me (very different laws back in 1968). I never met my biological father or ever saw a picture of him.

My father died 2 years ago (found out 6 months after he died), and that I have 2 younger half sisters (now married in their mid/later 30's), and they lived only 10 miles away from me the first 25 years of my life! I have wrestled with the idea of contacting them, afraid that now that my father has died and can't defend himself that I would be causing unnecessary turmoil within his family. But I have always wondered about my the other "half" of who I am. Sadly, that will never be known.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No imo it goes against the entire idea behind donating. These people donate the gift of life for those who can not achieve it on their own and do so with the expectation of anonymity and freedom from responsibility for the child.

I would consider donating eggs to help people who are infertile or unable but it would certainly change my mind if I knew I might be faced with the child confronting me someday.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 6:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• What answers do these people think they're going to get from sperm donors?? "Uhhh....I needed 50 bucks, so I donated sperm." Really... that's about as intelligent as it's going to get. There probably was no deeper purpose for those guys, and like Kayslay said, they probably never thought the products of that sperm donation would come looking for them.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2011