Hair colour to cover white hair ?

My friend has natural long dark hair, and she says that she'll go blonde to cover her grey / white hair, as they stand out between dark hair. Do you think it will be a good idea, or will her dark roots stand out and this will look even worse ?

lillyblue111

Asked by lillyblue111 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• as a stylist, she can do one of two things:
    highlights: they will give her hair a sun kissed look without looking overly fake (so long as she stays no more than 3 shades lighter than her natural shade).

Coloring one to two shades lighter than her natural shade:. you don't want to go anymore than that because not only will it be obvious and fake, but when the roots come in, those grays are going to stand out like a sore thumb, AND going any lighter than that can really make the face look older than it really is, so it would defeat the purpose of covering their grays.

regardless, so long as she seeks a stylist and says she wants gray coverage, it doesnt matter what color she picks because her hair will cover. however going darker doesnt always work.. those unpigmented hairs (aka grays) may not pick up as much of the color to match the color you are going for so they could stick out still.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• If she has dark hair and is trying to blend some grey, the best thing to do is start highlighting with blond. It blends beautifly and you don't have harsh regrowth. Most of my customers do this.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Personally, I hate when women have light dyed hair and dark roots, hello trashy!! If it were me, I'd look for a color as close to her natural color as possible. Or just let it go white.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Go darker...I worked with a woman who had naturally black hair but her greys stood out-so she colored burgundy over it-as the color balanced out-the burgundy took to the greys as highlights throughout her hair and made her black hair extra shiny since she went darker.
    ZsMommy

Answer by ZsMommy at 6:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• "Go darker...I worked with a woman who had naturally black hair but her greys stood out-so she colored burgundy over it-as the color balanced out-the burgundy took to the greys as highlights throughout her hair and made her black hair extra shiny since she went darker. "

sorry this makes no sense. you cant go darker if your hair is black. the only reason coloring over it with burgandy worked is because the color she added wont lighten what is already darker than the shade she is adding, it will just warm it up. the only hair that goes darker is the hair without color (grays). but the burgandy itself is not "darker" than her natural shade.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• it depends on how fast she goes grey, or if its in spots (heavier in places). i for one hate the look of streaks (even tiny ones) on dark hair. to me, it just makes it look yucky--if you don't get the yellow/gold out, it looks harsh..and if you do get a cooler tone, hell, it looks grey or silvery anyway, so what's the point?)
    if she's wanting to keep the greys at bay, without much commitment, she'd fare better to use semi/demi-colorings, close to her natural color, as needed...meaning, 'search and destroy', my term for placing similar color (to the natural) by hand ONLY WHERE NEEDED, so as to keep unnecessary chemicals off of hair that doesn't need it. no need to color hair the the same color is it naturally if it doesn't need it. KWIM?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2011