Is this normal behavior for a 4 year old boy?

My son just turned 4 two weeks ago. Last night before my son fell asleep I checked on him and it totally looked like he was humping his bed. He has always slept on his stomach and put his blankets underneath him....this time it looked like he was humping it. What the heck should I do???? He takes naps at preschool and I would be so embarassed if he did this there. Is this normal for a 4 year old? He has never seen anything like this on tv or anything. I'm freaking out a little....my husband says oh he's just in the phallic stage.

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 6:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is not abnormal. I am sure the teachers have seen it before.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I've had 2 boys...totally normal...some kids do it more than others...it will make things worse if you try and make him stop..
    irish500

Answer by irish500 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't worry. A good friend of mine loves to tell the story of when her son was 5. A bunch of the boys in the daycare were giggling in the bathroom. When the teacher went in to see what was going on they said "look, it grows when you pet it!" They were no longer allowed to go to the bathroom together. Point is, the teachers have probably seen or heard about most things 4-6 yr old boys have previously done.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Not abnormal, discovering his body and liking it.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I have four boys and a brother. Totally normal.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• yes, it is 100% absolutely normal. I worked in a daycare for a while and in the 4-5 year old room this was rampant at nap/quiet time. Just calmly remind him that what he's doing is NOT something to be done in public, IF you ever see him doing that in public.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Oh good lord! Thanks for the comments....I guess I didn't expect this so young! I teach 3rd grade and had a litlte boy that did it all the time last year in my classroom....I finally had to talk to the mom about it...AHHHH!!!
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes it is normal. My little boy did the same thing. When they get a pee pee hard they sometimes have this urge. Just ignore it. My son was doing it while watching TV in the family room. I told him if you want to do that go to your room. Don't make a huge deal of it.
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 6:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yep he's in the Phalic stage of life! I've been studying this in Psych class this week :) totally normal.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Oh lord another joy to look forward too. I read your post and was like maybe he just likes bouncing... then the responses.. now I am mortified and so lucky husband is here to deal with it when it happens.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 7:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2011