How can i quit breast feeding my daughter?

i have tried everything i can find and no luck. she will be two in march. i am having trouble with my kidneys and the meds. the doctors want me to take i cant take because of breast feeding.

dar1715

Asked by dar1715 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• You arent being firm enough apparently. She's not nursing now for food its for comfort. You need to do other things to substitute for it.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately it sounds like there will be no easy answer. You will just have to stop and try to help your daughter deal with it. You have to be as healthy as you can be to take care of your daughter in the other aspects of her life too. I'm sorry just because I know this will be difficult.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• maybe if you tell her that you'll hold her and all, but no nursing.
    Anonymous

• I think you need to just stop all together. It is going to be very hard at first and she is going to cry and give you a hard time, the thing is you can't give in. You have to take care of yourself so that you are around for her when she gets older. I think if you offer her a cup and then sit with her she might be okay.

As I said this is going to be hard, although I really think if you stick to your guns she will learn. Everytime she tries to nurse I would tell her she cannot and then offer her a cup.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Cuddle her, get her a new cuddle toy/blanket and snuggle with that and her for awhile, tell her milk is all gone.
    Anonymous

• Good Question.. My 15 month old is the same way! GL! and hope you take care of those kidney stones!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• 1: Drop one nursing session per week until finished.
    2: Don't offer, don't refuse.

If you don't absolutely have to stop right away, I would NOT advise cold turkey. Gradual is best, for mom and baby, but it depends on how quickly you need to wean. Also, make sure the meds are truly incompatible. Many, many meds are perfectly safe, but many doctors don't know this, so they say unsafe to cover their asses. The book, Medications and Mothers Milk by Dr Hale is a good resource, and he also has a forum on his website, I believe, to asses the safety of meds. You can always ask an IBCLC or LLL leader, or check the Lact Med database online. Those are the only sources I trust when it comes to meds and nursing. You might not need to wean. If you're comfortable posting the meds, I can find out for you, if you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Also, forgot to ask. What have you tried so far?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• quit voting me down ninny
    Anonymous