Would you ever have a birth outside of a hospital?

If it were ever proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that birthing outside of a hospital (in a birthing center or at home) were much safer for both mother and baby, would you still birth in a hospital or opt for something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• lol the only way i ever would do it ouotside a hospital would be if it happen by chance
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I absolutely would! I wanted to with the first but DH was against it. We WILL be having a home water birth or using a birth center as opposed to a hospital, for our next baby.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• For low risk pregnancies it IS safer out of the hospital. I will have no more babies in the sickhouse unless we are sick!
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 12:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I would have in a heartbeat if I hadn't been extremely hi-risk both times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Well...My thing is, I've known some women that have lost there babies or perfectly healthy babies have been injured because they cfouldn't get to a hospital fast enough becausethey were having a home birth OR at a birth center. If anything I would have one at the hospital, but have a midwife there. I liked to be in a hospital because just in case something goes wrong, they will have a better chance at fixing it. And by the fact that epideral is my best friend...lol...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• No, because it's not just about the birth, there are lots of things that can go wrong shortly after. I want everything we might ever need to be right outside the door. I found great comfort that I had so many experts available to me, should anything have happened. I will never believe that it's "safer" at home. More comfortable, maybe, but never safer!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i would prefer the hospital. after my first birth i would say yea ok outside of hospital sounds good, but after my second non high risk pregnancy and horrible birth with hemmorage i would NEVER not have a baby in the hospital. if i think im not goin gto make it to the hospital (was close with the second) iwould call 911 for help to get me to that hospital
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 1:03 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My dad delivered me at home on the kitchen floor of an old farmhouse. A blizzard was raging outside, the hospital was twenty miles away, and I was arriving fast--my dad just had my mom lie down near the heat register on a blanket, and did what he had to do. I guess if I was in a similar emergency situation I would act accordingly , but thank God I never had to and it's so nice to give birth in a place where they are well equipped to deal with any emergency situation that may come up.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• To be perfectly honest I'm much more nervous about the birth, and my and my baby's safety in a hospital than I would be out of a hospital. I'm afraid the environment will slow down my labor, and cause unnecessary pain. I'm especially afraid of becoming stuck in a bed, delivering on my back, with a pitocin drip and episiotomy. I know I won't be needing those things, and the vast majority of women do not need them either. It is true that home births are safer than hospital births with a normal, healthy pregnancy.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 2:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I would not deliver outside of a hospital. I had a friend who had a great pregnancy. She had no complications. She was healthy; the baby was healthy and when she delivered the baby was barely breathing and the heart rate slowed way down. The baby almost died on the way to the hospital. If she would have had the baby in a hospital it would have been much safer and the baby would not have been in the NICU. You can never predict what happens during delivery even if you have a great pregnancy.
    I had great experiences in the hospital with both of my deliveries. The nurses did not push anything on me that I did not want. I was able to walk around as much as I wanted. My first labor was only 4 hours so it was not slowed down at all.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 9:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2008