Why doesn't my baby want to walk?

My 16 month old is not walking yet. I try to get him to walk but he just gets down and crawls. He did crawl late too, but everyone keeps telling me that there could be something wrong with my little guy. All the test we have done say that there is nothing wrong with him..... What can I do to get him to walk?

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 7:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Place him in toys that help develop leg muscles, like walkers, jumperoo's, exersaucers, things of this nature. When going from one room to another, instead of letting him crawl, grab his hands/arms (based on the amount of support he needs from you) and have him walk the distance with your help. If he tries to sit, just tell him gently nope, use those legs! and pull him back up. Don't force the issue so much its a battle, but start encouraging walking movements more. Don't allow him to crawl as a first option. If it appears the walking movements are causing him pain (he won't bear weight, cries really tears as soon as his legs hit the ground) or his legs bow out to the sides, its time to talk to his pediatrician about there being physical concerns. 16 months is later then the average for most children, but if he crawled late it's really not surprising that he'll walk late too.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it or push it. If he is 18 months and still not walking, your pediatrician could have him evaluated for some possible occupational therapy. Everyone is on a different schedule.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Mine didn't walk til later either. Just give him time. If you're really worried about it take him into the doctor. At this point, just keep trying. Hold onto his hands and make him walk with you. It could be that he just feels he gets around faster by crawling.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 7:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Do you have a walker. That helped my son a lot.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011