Does anyone have experience with their son having undescended testes?

We have known since birth that he had this problem ,but the doctors kept saying to "wait until he is two, they will probably drop". Well he just turned two and we are looking at most likely surgery. Just wondering what is involved and how bad it is.

Carajust

Asked by Carajust at 6:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Kids' Health

• We have the same problem but my son is only one. One of his is close, they can feel it. They can't feel the other one. The urologist told us the one he can feel will be a very simple procedure. He did say the other one might be more complicated and they will have to do an ultra-sound to check on it. From what I've read it's very common and the boys aren't in too much discomfort.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My son had this and had surgery when he was a little over one yr old. The surgery does not take that long. And the incisions are very, small. My son only has one that I can see. They go in and remove the undecended testicle and check to see if there is a hernia involved as well. Afterwards you will be able to be with him and hold him in recovery. Dont be alarmed if he wakes up and all he does is cry and scream. That is a side effect of the anesthetic. You will be there for a few hours and then be sent home with some liquid tylenol 3 with codine for his pain. The first 2 days are rough, but after that he is back to his ol' self. They may even talk to you about having a prosthetic put in when he is older if he just wants to look "normal". And they will talk to you about protection for him while he is playing sports when he gets into school. This is everything his Dr talked to us about before and after his surgery. There will be a follow up about 6 months after the surgery.
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 1:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My son is now 11 and he had 1 undecending testicle. He just had surgery 3 days ago. We decided to wait in case it would drop. It didn't so we made the move ASAP before he hit puberty. I was a total freak about this but everything went well. He has done well. It is really red but not sure if this is normal. I will follow up with the Dr tomorrow.
    Nae556

Answer by Nae556 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I'm not sure about what the PP was saying about it being common. I have read in multiple sources that most likely the testes drop by 12 months of age and that undescending testes occur in about 3-5% of boys over 12 months and only in 1.8% of boys over 18 months. We went for my son's 18 month checkup today and they referred us to a urologist next week to be seen for his undescended testes. So I'm not sure what the urologist will have to say, but I am very worried about it. Everything I have read has said that males start to lose the ability to create sperm at 12 months if they have undescended testes. Not only this but my son has food allergies like crazy; milk, soy, wheat, corn, beef, pork, eggs, peanuts, and more...I'm sure his allergist and urologist appts will be much fun next week. Wish us luck!
    mona_57

Answer by mona_57 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2008