Help my baby poop

The poor little man has not pooped in a couple of days. This has happened before, but this is the first time he seems uncomfortable. What can I do to help him go? He is 4 1/2 months old.

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this may sound gross but when he starts grunting and straining you can take his diaper off and spread those cheeks and like poke at the area with a thermometer or q tip or something. Works great as a once in awhile thing otherwise you could try an ounce or two of baby pear juice. My doc said it would be okay for my 9 weeks old so i bet it would be okay for your baby
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• That's normal around that age. but to help him, you can try kyro syrup, prunes (i did this and let me warn you, if you use prunes you're in for ALOT of poop. oh and make sure it's the stage one baby food) a nice warm bath normally works uuummm, do a rectal temp, that normally gets them to poop to. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• my daughter had the same trouble, the doc had me put sugar water in a bottle for her. Sugar binds with stool to soften it.......only problem!! I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT AGE ITS OKAY FOR KIDS TO DRINK WATER....i just put a straight teaspoon into 6 oz of water and had her drink it...god love ya!! o sing the PO PO song too~ "PUSH IT OUT~ PUSH IT OUT~~~~~~WAYYYYY OUT!" WHILE CLAPPING YOUR HANDS...hay~~ it worked for us!!

LiFeOVeRForTY

Answer by LiFeOVeRForTY at 12:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Use a few teaspoons of Kayro (white) syrup in a bottle of water to help soften the poop up. It always worked for my kids, and the Dr said it was fine.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• my 5 month old didn't poop for 3 & 1/2 days so I dialuted infant pear juice w/ water, 1oz each & like 3 baby spoonful of prunes (the baby food stage 1) & she pooped. And I cut down on her solid intake for a couple of days & just fed her breastmilk & her cycle turned normal.
    wickedcoolmama

Answer by wickedcoolmama at 1:30 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• What we did with my sons was did the bycicle excersizes to help work things down and also used about 1 oz of apple juice or white grape juice. This works wonders. You can even give him as much as 2 ozs.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 1:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i did the bicycle excercise with my son when he had that problem or i massaged his tummy and he had alot of gas and then alot of poop came out but after that he seemed very comfy.
    marine_wife_07

Answer by marine_wife_07 at 2:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• apple juice, prune juice, and if your baby is already eating jarred food, then any kind of fruit would help.
    lmybo

Answer by lmybo at 11:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• you can use 1 tblspoon of brown sugar with 2 oz of warm water...works for my peanut!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:44 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• What worked for my kid when she was that age was "stimulating" the area to remind her to poop ... like next time you change her diaper, wipe her little but for a bit longer, like 30 seconds, wipe wipe wipe. i think taking a temperature or poking around there with a q-tip works on the same principle.
    Anonymous