What do you think about this idea? (I disagree)

Someone I know posted the question "Why doesn't the American government cut things like having fighter jets fly over ball games and army sponsored race cars instead of medicare?" on facebook. All she got (except my response) were responses in agreement.

DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE? I'd be interested to hear your responses. If you want to hear my thoughts, please see below.

I disagree, and here is what I responded to the person who initially put the question on facebook:

Okay so you would have the military get RID of the Public Relations portion of our spending, so that ALL the US Citizens ever heard about the military was what was printed in the news? YET MOST of the "NEWS" that comes out about the military is "bad"?Just imagine if we had NO good PR to counter that? I mean how often do you read about the GOOD stories that happen in the military? I can tell you for certain it's not nearly as often as the bad stories...YET there are soooo many more good stories than bad.
And, the next thing you know, if the above came to fruition, people like you would say, "why not just cut out the home coming reception parties, or the veteran parades too?" No matter how you look at it, those ALSO cost money, even if it's "only" in man hours.
Then what you, the American public, NON military would be left with is the skewed yellow journalism perspective of the American military, especially those overseas. In addition, the only times you would see the American military equipment would be in photos, videos or books, unless you were lucky enough to live near a military base or a military training area.
Changing subject a little bit...Do you realize that the new innovations that we have had in the military have saved millions of amercian service members lives in combat (Compare Iraq and or Afghanistan to almost any previous war (exclude bosnia), and you will find that all of them had higher death counts)...YET the american media is constantly finding ways to portray the military in a bad light?
Not to mention, the American military should be considered part of your "health" care...because THEY provide for your safety and security at home while THEY are abroad for YOU.
Getting rid of the PR is a HORRIBLE idea, in my opinion.

ladymomtraveler

Asked by ladymomtraveler at 8:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think there are more effective ways for our military to gain acceptance from the citizens of our country. And I dont feel my rights have ever been threatened lately, so I feel that the military doesnt do much to protect the general publics health. However, they are responsible for my healthcare since I am an active duty dependent. The NUMBER ONE way to cut spending, would be to stop the "wars/occupations". Most homecoming parties, and parades are either funded through donations/fundraising.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 8:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I agree with you
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I agree with her. Why waste money on things like that. They could be using that money towards things that really matter. The military doesn't always get the bad rap. And no matter what they do, pr wise, some will always see it as negative.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't see jets flying over ballgames as "good PR". I don't know that anyone who was straddling the fence between liking and not liking the military would see a jet over a ballgame and say "Ah. Yeah, that makes me like the military."

There is A LOT of pointless spending (jets over ballgames) that could be better spent elsewhere.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My husband was in the air force......I want to address the issue about the fighter planes over the super bowl......
    Those pilot have to have a certain amount of time flying those, so that time that they spent going over the superbowl probably went toward training. Lots of people don't understand this. So it wasn't a waste of money for the few seconds they happened to fly over...we pay out anyway for training time.
    Anonymous

• I agree with ArmywifeAshie . i am not aware of the denigration of the military that you emphasise in your question, I think you are over-reacting to occasional isolated incidents .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Ok so if we keep jets over ballgames and other military "PR" then what goes instead? I guess we could always just shave more off public education

We are a virtually bankrupt country we just don't have the money to waste whether it serves a good purpose or not there are other things that just need it more.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The military and infrastructure are the ONLY things the constitution oks federal spending on. Public education is NOT on that list.

Public education is a mess. Spending more money on it will not fix it ~ not as long as it is being administered by idiots, and controlled by a political agenda. The public education fund should be cut in half ... or scrapped from the federal budget entirely. Give the schools back to the local districts and get back to teaching again.

Aside from that, what would you prefer spending the military budget on?? More welfare? More touchy feel good moneypits? What? How about another ball park, or a playground? Trees?!

When you get done with your list, let me know how much it will be worth or how long it will last if a foreign power takes over because the military is so gutted that it is useless ... or are soccer moms gonna save the day?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Exactly what Farmlady said..............plus a previous poster is correct, most of those flyovers you are griping about are training missions.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• – collapse
    taking public education to the local level is only going to ensure even more so that access to education becomes a privledge of those who can afford it.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 3:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 (hidden) + expand