Feet are SOOO swollen....

I'm about 8 months pregnant and my feet have been swelling a bit for about a month. Until this week; now they just look like frikkin' BALLOONS!! I can barely bend my toes, my feet are semi-numb, and my left foot is a whole LOT worse than my right; it's even losing color. I had a dr appt yesterday and I mentioned it to the Dr (she's not my regular, as my midwife was delivering a baby), and she just said to wear some frikkin' pantyhose.... (I run around the house naked bc I stay so hot; why would I wear pantyhose?) But this is REALLY getting on my nerves... I have taken a couple doses of pain reliever and even soaked my feet in ICY water for awhile...nothing helps. I wake up like this, so laying down feet propped up doesn't help. Also, I've cut nearly ALL salt out...Nothing helps so far...
Any advice?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 12:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My midwife actually told me to try taking a teaspoon of sea salt right before bed to help with swelling. It certainly helped me, I haven't had any swelling at all. Maybe that will help you? I just sprinkle it on an apple because I can't stand taking it straight...
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 2:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Pantyhose...I don't remember why, exactly, but they're good for preventing and relieving swelling, not only for pregnant woman, but for people who swell in heat or for other reasons (two of my sisters were flight attendants, and they wore them to help with swelling, too!).
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• How was your blood pressure, if it is even a little higher than normal they should have done a test to see if you have preeclamsia. Which needs to be adressed ASAP. I would call tomarrow with your regular to make sure.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 12:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• do they check your urine every time you have a doctors appt? if not, you need to tell them to check you for toxemia, (or preeclamsia is another name for it). if you have this, they will need to get that baby out of you right away, seeing as this is the only cure. i had a friend that had to have her baby 2 months early because she had this...i had swollen feet, and what i found to work for me was to prop my legs up at night while i slept, and then the swelling would be down when i woke up, but as soon as i stood up, the water rushed right back down there. i found that the only way i could walk semi-comfortably was to put on my socks and tennis shoes VERY tightly, so when i stood up, the water couldn't really make it to my feet. my ankles did look big, cuz the water stopped right there, but i cleverly used boot cut jeans to hide that. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My BP was normal--117/78.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• eww thats so wierd lol who knew salt would help, albeit SEA salt lmao thanks
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2008