How many of you get sushi while pregnant?

i have read that the parasites in fish is what's not good about eating sushi as there isn't enough mercury for you to eat that would harm the baby in the amount of fish that is served with sushi. i read you have to have 12oz of fish to get the mercury to effect your baby. i even think i read that it has to be 12 oz a wk. either way there are low mercury fish. i also read that japanese women have sushi as a regular diet all the time. i'm so craving sushi but do i dare?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i don't like sushi, but i heard you can't eat that while pregnant
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't do it. It's raw fish. There's no telling what it's been floating around in the water....
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 8:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I agree with SweetLoveofMine. It is RAW do not eat it.
    Anonymous

• I work at an organic restaurant that serves sushi every once in a while. I eat it whenever we have it even though I'm pregnant and ate it regularly during my last 2 pregnancies. But then again, I am really confident in the freshness of the fish we serve.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I am NOT a professional - so this is just an opinion.

I think it depends on your normal diet and, as keisha613 said, the level of comfort with freshness. My understanding is that the danger isn't the fish itself but rather the parasites that get into it. I love sushi, and am having a hard time envisioning the next 8 months without any. Because I don't know anyone I really really trust I think I will try and skip it - or at least get maki that are cooked.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• for my bday my mom took me to a huge sushi bar...i got everything that wasnt raw or sashimi...if it had cooked crab shrimp and cucumber with some other veggies i got it...my dr said that was all alright cuz nothing was raw at all and it soooo fixed my sushi craving
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 2:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• oh also...the mercury level you are worried about is only in some fish not all..fish is actually very healthy for you and baby..tuna is very good for you my dietician and the diabetes center for my GD said she ate it almost everyday with her two pregnancies...always consult a professional to know for sure but my professionals all said its safe as long as its not raw and there are plenty of sushi out there that are not raw seafood at all and its still soooooooo good i promise
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 2:04 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I am a worry wort so I never do. I found out I was preggy at 3 months with my 2nd child and about 2 weeks before I found out, I went to a b-day party at a sushi restraunt and chowed down. She was born just fine.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 10:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Gross
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2011