Epidurals... freak me out... full on pain...freaks me out. lol

i have a terribly low pain tolerance...

my 1st birth the epi worked and i cant remember even it hurting going in my back

2nd the epi didnt work on my right side at all and i thought i was dying... worst pain of my life feeling that

now i cant decide if i should try an epi out again.. my back is still hurting from the last one 2 years ago.. & for some reason im freaking out about feeling the needle going in my back more than labor..

do you remember feeling the shot for your epi?
would you still try for it again if you had a low pain tolerance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• if your back is still bothering you from the last one, DONT do it. My back was messed up after the 1st epi I had and with my 2nd child I didn't have it done, wait till your in the hospital and then decide when you can handle the pain any more
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• As soon as they stuck the needle in my back I had a contraction. All i felt is the contraction. My second epi was uncomfortable, and it still hurts after 2 1/2 months, but if I could get one again then I would, but that is just me. GL
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I am in the same boat. I am afraid to get an epidural, but I have a low pain tolerance. I am due Augest 9th and not sure what I want to do. My first baby they lowered it because I wasn't pushing hard enough and I felt everything after that. My second baby I didn't feel a thing I was laughing while pushing and everything, but after was the worse pain of my life because they messed it up so I was leaking spinal fluid I had a bad headache couldn't walk the blood patch came off so the day after coming home I had to go to the er for another blood patch. That was the worst pain of my life and even worse getting a blood patch because it was like getting another epidural. But when I had them during labor I didn't really feel them I was to involved with my contraction pain to even think of the needle pain. But because of that happened with baby 2 I am afraid to get an epidural, but am afraid to go natural.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• you can do it without....save your back!!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• oh and 2 this day I have mad headaches a lot and neck pain SO i am going to try natural, but I am not sure I can do it because I don't do well with pain at all
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I just had my 3rd baby....my first two epidurals were wonderful...but my back did hurt on and off afterwards...I know it was from the epi...

But this time I had the epidural headache after I had my baby. OMG it is horrible! If I could go back I might not get the epi again. Its hard to say that you WOULD NOT get it b/c when you are in that type of pain you do things you normally wouldnt do...but the headache is horrid!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• it might be best to go without the epi. when they don't work it must be much worse than going without pain meds. you r body has natural pain killers that are released, they increase as the contractions increase and it is based on your biofeedback system. the epidurral is one size fits all. i read that labor and delivery happens in the "old" primitive part of the brain...it is more like instinct. it is when we let our thinking part of the brain take over that we focus on the pain part of it all.
    i have had 5 children, including a set of twins. all were un medicated, i never even had so much as a tylenol afterwards. now according to my husband, for all things other than birth I am a complete whimp. i remember painful contractions for my last baby, but i think that was because i was pretty sure she would be my last baby, and i was really trying to remember everything...and i think my focus fell upon the pain. so...
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• let your body do what it needs to do, and there will be no need of pain killers.
    your body was made for this!
    YOU CAN DO IT MAMA!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Oh mommy I see you had the epi headache too!

I had two blood patches too and also had to have a spinal tap (stuck me 3 times to get fluid b/c I was dehydrated!) They did the spinal tap b/c I was running a high fever and they thought I had meningitis.

This post partum for me was incredibly difficult!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well, I had a c-section, so I had a spinal block. Is that maybe an option for you, instead of an epidural? Will they give a spinal block for a vaginal birth? I had no negative effects and was COMPLETELY numb for hours. There was no way I could have felt anything at all.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2011