What do you think of Montessori? I'm considering sending my child there.

MommyNeedsVodka

Asked by MommyNeedsVodka at 9:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I use to teach Montessori and I love it.

Make sure to find out if they teach tradition Montessori of if they just off Montessori materials.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 9:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I went to Montessori for 3-8. I loved it, but once I was older it didnt help me for preschool. I think its wonderful for young children though!
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Just do your research on the school..Ive heard alot of good & alot of bad... Just like any school- some are not as good as they would seem from the outside.. References would be great! :)
    Best of luck! These decisions can be so hard to make!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Montessori doesn't fit every child's learning style, so make sure you know what kind of learner your child is and if the philosophy matches. Also find out if it is a certified montessori program, anyone can call themselves a montessori without really knowing anything about it.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• What really matters is that the teachers are nice, and the kids are happy. At this age, anything else is bonus. Almost every preschool/daycare in our area is "Montessori", so I've been learning a lot about it. What Maria Montessori developed was revolutionary and today we just take many of her ideas as common sense. But our understanding of child psychology and education has also grown, so no school (even then accredited ones) will follow her practices faithfully. And that's good!! No one in their right mind would practice psychology like Freud did, but he's still a HUGE part of modern psychology. Every Montessori school does things differently. I really like the "Montessori" emphasis on teaching kids to be independent and responsible, and on using all senses to learn. But some schools get too carried away - I don't like the ones where there is too much emphasis on serious work. They are just kids, Lady! Crack a smile!!!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I've heard good and bad, I think it could be good for preschool, but I don't think it prepares them much for much beyond that as far as structure and real school. jmo
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Our son has been in a montessori preschool since September. He loves it and so do I! He is thriving at his school. He knows all of his letters, numbers, planets, months of the year, days of the week..etc. I like that they have spanish once a week and music once a week. I know they do a lot of singing...I think that is what helps him retain it. I would recommend our preschool to anyone. I do know we have anohter montessori preschool in town and it is complete opposite. It's like they are trying to have mini robots....teaching cursive etc....They are very strict and your child has to take almost an entrance exam to get in.....so, do some research and good luck.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 7:26 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My son has attended since he was one and is now in the preschool/K5 class. He loves it. The philosophy is not typical of standard traditional schools in the United States. But it is very European. For example - a first grader I know is doing geomerty that I did in middle school. When they teach subjects seems "out of order" to outsiders. But if you came from Europe your child's topics and subjects would seem about right. Most four year olds in my son's class can read - and read very well. Mine cannot but is well on his way. We have made the decision to stay for several more years for as long as we can afford to. It is expensive but it suits him.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• As the others have said - make sure it is truly accredited. Also, I love the "serious" work. So does my child and every child in his class. Work is fun for them. For a truly out of the box child - it has worked for my son.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• It really depends on your child. My daughter did not do well in Montessori; she did much better in a highly structured, competitive, academically advanced school.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2011