Good enough reason to end it?

I nanny two kids. Good kids, but with my two it's kind of a handfull, and the parents really kind of expect a lot. I'm not being paid very much for it, the parents are late coming home sometimes and they have forgotten to pay me a couple of times and shorted my check once. But today something big happened. I'm going to do my best to just tell it how it happened without my emotions clouding it.

I won't bore you with the details, but a stain ended up on their child's mattress, caused by my daughter. It is an expensive mattress. One of the parents started yelling (including at my daughter), got very angry. My daughter was standing in the doorway and the parent told her "Move. MOVE." and when she didn't (she didn't know where he wanted her to go) they pushed past her, knocking her down. She's only 2 1/2, she didn't understand. The parent didn't look back or say sorry or help her up or anything. They calmed down for a minute, but while I was picking up a mess that was made when the parent knocked my kid down she put her hand back on the mattress and made another small stain. Another flare, more cursing and anger.

On top of the being late, the late payments, the general overly high expectations... is that a good enough reason to end my employment with them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• You shouldn't even have to ask. They are horrible to work for.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Dont' feel like a wimp. You can simply tell them that you don't feel like you are meeting their needs anymore and you will be leaving. Even if it's not you, it's them that's the problem.

No one should treat you or your daughter that way, it's bullyish. Standing up to them by quitting does not make you a wuss, it makes you a protector and strong.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• A big fat YES. They shoved your kid! Drop them like bad habits...which they are anyways.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Absolutely, YES!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes

Answer by admckenzie at 9:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I SHOULDN'T have to ask... but I feel like a quitter and a wimp for doing it :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The mere fact they carried on that way because of a small stain and shoved my 2 yr old... oh, yes! Don't feel that it makes you a quitter or a wimp... in fact, it's quite the opposite. If you don't quit you are doing your children an unjust. I certainly wouldn't want my children to be exposed to that type of behavior by someone who is (i'm assuming here) supposed to be 'better than I am' because he signs my paycheck.
    ShariY

Answer by ShariY at 10:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Tell the parents to kick rocks they have to respect you and they do not seem to.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• If you resign, you will not be eligible for unemployment compensation. You need to find another position before you quit this one.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm not eligible anyway, I'm pretty sure, since there was no W4 filing etc, etc, etc, and I wouldn't be filing if I was. Besides, doesn't a hostile or abusive work environment qualify under exemptions for unemployment? And doesn't yelling and cussing and pushing my daughter down qualify as hostile or abusive?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011