My 6 mo old wont sleep . what to do ?

first off . i have tried EVERYTHING ! He just doesnt seem to be tired and wants to play . ive fed , changed , rocked , sung , read , and swaddled him . i took him for a drive . played a lulluby . and so much more . hes not sick . his daily schedule is fine . how can i make him sleep . he is wide awake and wants to play . when i try to lay him down he just cries .

des11987

Asked by des11987 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cut back on naps during the day if you're wanting him to sleep more at night. This won't be a popular answer on here, but it is ok to let him cry a bit, to help get the extra energy out. When it's bedtime place him in his crib with his normal nightly routine, and let him cry for an allotted period of time before going back in. With my son it was 10-15 minutes, then I would go in, sooth him while still leaving him in bed, and when he was quiet kiss him and leave again, then reset the timer. As long as he was dry and fed I repeated the method until he was asleep. If he was just playing in his crib though I let him, even if he played all night. If he was in a dark room and just not tired then he could play till his hearts content, I was going to sleep. But try letting him cry for short periods, it exerts lots of energy and might help make him tired, and cut back on naps. Good luck :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I am in the same boat you are, my son will be 7months on the 29th. Hope we both find a cure to this not-sleepingness and also find a way to stay sane!
    Ballababy177

Answer by Ballababy177 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• This will probably not be a popular answer, but my dad when I was a child used to mix coke with my milk bottle. Not sure why it works, but it worked with my son too. Its an old puerto rican mom's trick.
    mysticlady1221

Answer by mysticlady1221 at 2:58 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• i'd just put him in his crib and tell him night night and walk away. put some toys in his crib. let him play until he falls asleep.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• how often does he sleep during the day?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2011