My 16 year old son has Executive function disorder aspect of ADHD, anyone elso have this?

We've homeschooled for years, and had him tested. He was high in reading comprehension and math skills but low in processing speed, hence the executive functioning "label". He feels his intelligence is locked in his brain. We've tried many natural remedies over the years and his diet is pretty good. He has trouble learning at times and want to have help with this. Any advice or words of wisdom. I am nervous.
Thanks,
Sherry906

Sherry906

Asked by Sherry906 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Sorry that's a new one, never heard of it. Here's a bump for you though.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I have never heard of that and I thought I was an expert at ADHD kids. My son had ODD, OCD,ADHD, Bi polar , we also suspect Aspbergers as well. Getting a diagnosis is a start, good luck to you. I'm sorry I don't have any answers but I wanted to let you know you're not alone. Have you tried the ADHD group on here. I first got involved with Club mom because of that group over 8 years ago. Maybe someone in there can have more insight for you.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Not sure of the answer so I am going to bump you, so that someone else may be able t help you.
    djh0505

Answer by djh0505 at 12:22 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I thought I was well read on ADHD but I have never heard of this. Another bump for you.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 2:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• that is a new one on me. my daughter is adhd inattentive used to be called add so i am not sure i will give you a bump
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2011