Does bariatric surgery last for a lifetime?

Dubey

Asked by Dubey at 10:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• No, you can stretch it back out if you don't eat properly.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• There are different types of surgery. They have different long term success rates. I believe the lapband is the least successful long term. Some reduce the size of the stomach, others reduce the stomach a small amount and reduce and change the duodenoal and intestines. The later I believe is the most successful longterm because it decreases absorption.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The lapband can be removed after a period of time, and is less invasive as the other types of surgery, so you have to permanently change your lifestyle, or it won't work. The regular surgery is supposed to be for life, but it is possible to stretch the stomach back out if you continuously overeat and don't follow the diet, and I've known many people who got the surgery and lost a ton of weight, and eventually crept back into their old lifestyle and gained a lot if not all of it back. It has to be a committment, as far as lifestyle and yes then it can be for life but so can any diet change.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• No bariatric surgery will work if you don't follow the diet properly. Ultimately, you're better off just dieting (or better yet, don't think of it as a diet, think of it as a PERMANENT lifestyle change), and saving yourself from major surgery.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Bariatric surgery causes people to lose weight at a dramatically rapid pace.....this causes massive issues with loose skin. I think most people are better off doing it the old fashioned way...lifestyle change and exercise.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Like everyone else said, it can be "less than permanent" if you don't follow the strict guidelines. Are you in the process of it? I am. I'm so ready to get this weight off.
    mpm915

Answer by mpm915 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I had the surgery three years ago, but have been gaining weight pretty rapidly. It is so discouraging, the weight seems even harder to come off.
    Dubey

Comment by Dubey (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I think so.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have no idea.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Only if you follow the post surgery rules for eating.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2011