My 18 year old brother........

just told me his girlfriend is pregnant (also 18). They are both seniors in high school. He said he is going into the military once he graduates ( in 2 1/2 months) because that is the only way he will be able to support his baby (our parents just got divorced and neither have much money that they could help him with). He said they are going to tell everyone soon and they want to get married but until he doesn't want anyone to know, the only reason he told me is because she wanted to know what doctor to go to (she has already been and is 7 weeks along). Should I tell my mom or should I respect my brother's wishes? I know she will be hurt if she finds out I knew and didn't tell her (I would be too) If he was 17 this would be a no question kind of thing, of course I would tell but he is legally and adult and has a plan to be able to support them by the time the baby is born.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• don't tell, they are trusting you with this. It will come out in due time. Your mother shouldn't be upset with you, it isn't your place to tell.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• This is not your stuff to tell. He's an adult, let HIM tell people
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• He's an adult now. Hopefully your mom won't find out that you knew and get upset but sometimes you have to keep quiet, even about a younger sibling. She should understand anyway that this is his situation and not your place to interfere. On a side note, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and that they have plans is a refreshing change. I hope things work out well for them.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Thank you, that's what I thought but it is still so hard to look at him as an adult (I guess I will have to though). I know this may be odd but I am proud of him. Not because they are in the situation but because he is standing by her, most guys his age would not care or do anything until the courts make them but he just wants to be a good dad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You have to let him do it. It isn't your place to tell. I know it is hard not say anything but just encourage him to tell her asap.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 10:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Respect his wishes. He needs someone on his side. Don't create a rift between the two of you. If you create that rift you will be destroying his trust in you, and you will not see him or that baby any time soon. Good luck, he will tell everyone in his own time.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Everyone else has already said it and I think the answer is super clear! Good for you for not looking negatively towards him and I wish you and your family the best of luck and lots of love with the new baby :)
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i'd respect his wishes. It's his life. He sounds like he's a good guy and making a responsible plan.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I agree with everyone, let him break the news when he's ready. Like you said if he was underage this wouldn't be a questions. All you can do is be supportive, it sounds like your brother has a plan and a good head on his shoulder. It's going to be hard but he will be okay. I have a younger brother too and I know what you mean about not being able to see them as adults but they do grow up, LOL and congrats auntie!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't tell her, let him tell her when he is ready, he is trusting you and confiding in you so just be there for him .
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2011