Can you truly forgive someone who has hurt you?

cocobrown28

Asked by cocobrown28 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, because forgiveness is a choice. Forgiving someone does not mean you are saying what they did is OK, but that you aren't gonna let their hurtful act control the joy & success of your life. Forgiveness is for you, not for the one who hurt you. If you don't forgive, you will be the one who's life is eaten up & wasted stewing over the hurt & they will have moved on, probably having forgotten about what they did, or maybe even unaware of what they did that hurt you. It may take some time, but you can forgive & move on, if you choose to.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I can forgive but doesn't mean it's forgotten.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Forgiving is for you not for them. If you don't forgive it can eat you up inside forever it can also screw up your karma or if you are a Christian it can stop you from receiving blessings God wants for you. Is holding a grudge worth all that? I had to forgive a jerk who raped me. I did it for me and my peace of mind, not for him.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I can forgive yes. But if they have notchanged, say someone who has been lying is still lying to me. i can forgive them but i cannot be friends with them. not until they get honest.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 10:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• In all honesty for me forgiveness is a precious thing to be able to do. I have forgiven a couple of people that have hurt me. I had one close person in my life whom I haven't been able to forgive and I am not sure if I ever will, like admckenzie said, you forgive for yourself not for others. When and if I am ready to move forward with that chapter of my life then one day I will let it go. If you have the capability to forgive then by all means do so, it does not erase the pain, hurt or the action the person did.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Admckenzie, I know that I have to let go off the pain, but I can't seem to get over the way that my life is and how much I struggle because of the way that I was brought up. I know a lot of people blame their childhood and parents for their problems in life, but my problems really are my moms fault. I wish I could just open up about my life without some people choosing to bash me, but I won't because I don't want to get judged. I know that if my childhood was different that I would be in a much better place as far as my education, financially, and emotionally.
    cocobrown28

Comment by cocobrown28 (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2011