Why do some parents send their sick kid to school?

I know it's hard to arrange work schedule around a sick kid, but honestly I could not send my child to school knowing she has a temp and knowing she has something like strep and not worry about making other kids sick. Most of my daughters class is out with upper respritory problems, strep or the flu and I know some of the kids that are there are sick but on fever reducers/antibiotics to clear up the problem. Does this bother anyone else or just me??

khedy

Asked by khedy at 10:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sometimes it's because the parents don't care, don't want to deal with their sick kids or cannot take off of work. In some cases if the parent takes off of work, they will get fired.

Strep is always contagious until on antibiotics for 24 hours. Children with fevers, etc should NOT be at school.

tnteaton: ANY time a child is absent, even if sick and the school knows it, it goes against their attendance...it is just an excused absence vs unexcused.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Most people are actually contagious before they even show symptoms such as fever, sore throat, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well first of all, if my child were truly sick, I would never send them to school. Trust me, when my kids were little, I lost job after job for calling in to take my child to the Dr. or to stay at home with them when they were ill. Now, on the contrary, if the child has been on the antibiotic for the duration, is feeling better and maybe is just still having a runny nose and cough, I would probably at some point send them back. I say that because I suffer from bronchitis and have my entire life.... my cough can last for months following an outbreak. I had no choice but to return to school, as unpleasant as it was. In my granddaughter's school and the daycare, they will not allow them in with a fever... Also, that being said, there are always going to be the case of the children who suddenly become ill and thus inadvertently infecting others without knowledge. That's true in any instance. Cont...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• On top of all the above, do you know the first place someone goes when they are sick, after the Dr's office?? Walmart! They go to get their meds and other supplies, thus infecting hundreds more.... Ugh.... I hate public!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• A lot of kids don't show signs of illness until later in the day. So if they feel fine in the morning, they go to school like normal, later on they develop a fever or vomitting. How can a parent help that?
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• It bothers me yes. My son caught strep a few weeks ago at school. When we went to pick him up that day he was sitting right next to a girl with the same symptoms waiting to be picked up. Apparently a good portion of his class had it and no teachers bothered saying anything. He went to school that morning with just a sore throat, no temp. But shortly after school started he had a temp and they called for him to be picked up. He went to the dr that day and they said it was strep. I guess some parents think its no contagious sometimes.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It would bother me too!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 11:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• on the attendance side, some kids cant afford to miss more school...i dont think they should go to class, but the office so they can see the student is truely sick so it doesnt go against their attendance..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I had the same gripe about daycare when I was a working single mom. Seriously, it drove me nuts and I lost a good job due to staying home with my daughter who seemed to have a different illness every other week from sick kids at daycare. I do understand that people will be contagious before symptoms arise, but I seen kids with snot literally dripping out of their noses and coughing every 20 seconds, those kids needed to stay home!!!! I guess on the plus side of things, my daughter has a great immune system now, she's hardly ever sick, maybe once a year this past year =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well, you have to remember that most kids are contagious before they even show signs of being truly sick. So they have spread the germs already. When I was a kid........unless we were throwing up or had a fever over 100 everyone went to school. It was just the way it was. My daughters class has fifths disease running rampid and its being spread because your contagious before you even feel sick and alot of times with fifths disease the only symptom you may have is being alittle tired until you get the "slapped face" syndrome and by that time your no longer contagious and can go back to school. But the kid next to you may get really sick with it. Being out in public during the winter months when viruses, bacteria and other no seeums are floating around ........ is not for the weak or faint of heart lol.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2011