I have been wondering for quite some time if my almost 5yr old has ADHD...anyone have any advice or comments on this matter?

He has been hyper since he was an infant, if that makes sense. Always on the go no matter where we are..at home, the store, visiting friends. He talks alot, runs jumps..just VERY hyper. It is not like a normal kid hyper. Anyone have a child with ADHD or any advice or comment, or what kind of tests/ evaluations your child had to do to get diagnosed, I would appreciate it. Thanks so much!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I know in Ohio, the schools/psychologists won't test for ADHD unless its INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS until the child is 7 years old. Especially in boys. My sons pediatrician won't even contemplate the idea boys are overly hyper until they're 7. I'd suggest preschool if he's not enrolled already, and an allotted time for gross motor play every day, at least an hour. I know it hard to do when you live in places with harsh winters, but it's really necessary for kids, especially boys. My son is 5 and NEVER stops moving. I've often wondered the same thing you are, but I've been told over and over he's a typical boy. He even moves in his sleep, but when he has to sit at circle time at preschool he can. When he's asked to raise his hand and not speak out, he can. So although the kid never stops talking/moving, he's just a hyper boy and exercise is all there is to be done.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i would talk ur child's doc.... my brother was diagnosed with it and they had to put him on meds cuz it was so bad.....
    LovingLife90

Answer by LovingLife90 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• As an adult with adult adhd, I know what its like. Some ?'s to ask yourself, is 1, does he seem to get sidetracked super easy? 2, does he have a short attention span? I know that he's just a little fellow, but you might want to bring it up to his dr at his next check up and see what they say. GL
    djh0505

Answer by djh0505 at 12:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I have been meaning to take him for quite some time now but, I didn't know if they could test him until he was in school (he starts in fall).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• All 3 of my kids have ADHD and I didn't end up getting them tested until my youngest was in 3rd grade. I always knew something was up but waited until we were able to go to an off base therapist for testing. It took about 2 1/2 mos. of testing before we had the final diagnosis. I put my 2 boys on low dose meds but my daughter was doing fine in school so I didn't put her on any. All of them were super hyper, had trouble focusing, trouble with time management, losing things, talking non-stop(all at the same time),etc. Also you will find if your child enjoys something like reading, watching movies/t.v. or playing video/computer games he will become extremely absorbed and you will have a difficult time getting him to eat, use the bathroom,etc. When ADHD kids do focus on things they enjoy doing they have trouble transitioning away from that activity.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yeah my son gets totally absorbed into his DS game..I had heard before that if a child had ADHD they couldn't sit long enough to play video games or tv but I do not agree with that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• A pediatric neuropsychologist can test him for it. But it'll cost you. Our insurance didn't pay for it when we had our daughter tested. But you need to find out, because if he is ADHD you need to mitigate it, the earlier the better. As he gets older, it will really interfere with his school work, such as reading and writing reports. Good luck!
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 8:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Anon it is not always true that they cannot sit for a while. my daughter is adhd inattentive, but she is on meds. my nephew however was adhd hyper and he would get absorbed in the game to. he also had other medical things going on. but there is somethings they hold attention to. but not all. they can test and it is better to get it done before it does affect his schoolwork. my daughter was a A_B honor roll student. her grades dropped to d's all of sudden. got her diagnosed and got her meds the lowest grade i have seen since is a Ct because it was a subject she was struggling with. My youngest i am working with the school on because she has medical issues and seems to not sit still. she is watching cartoons in here with me but she can't sit still. she is up and down and talking a lot. it is a constant battle to get her to sit still even at the dinner table she tries to stand to eat.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Thank you everyone..it is very helpful to hear these things!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2011