UGH! Fleas!!!

We adopted two all black cats (look like bombay's) about a year ago, brothers. They have always been indoor cats that spent most of their 4 years of life in a shelter. We moved the middle of November and about a month later inherited the half-grown kitten that USED to live in our apartment. The family that brought him up to us has a dog. So now we've got two 4-year old brothers, and this 1-year old upstart.

Well, now I'm finding fleas! It's not a massive infestation, yet. I'm finding more and more fleas on ME and I just know they're all over the house. And, where there's one there's a million more. The only way I know of to treat fleas is to bomb the house and stay out all day. I can't do that, though, with the indoor cats.

What's going to be the best way to get rid of all these pests before they totally take over my apartment?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 11:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Girl, listen and listen good lol. I had this problem when I moved into a rental house because of the previous owner's dogs. The solution will cost you $3 at Wlamart or Target. Get some Borax. It's in a box on the detergent aisle. It dehydrates fleas and sterilizes them. Shake it on your carpet or floors after you have vacuumed well. Do it on your couches too and wash your bed lines WELL. Take a broom and use it to brush the Borax into the carpet well. Let it sit for overnight or all day. Fleas will be gone in that day. Trust me. I never saw 1 again. Put your pets somewhere like in a laundry room. Then you'll have to treat the laundry room seperately. Make sure to bathe your animals and get the fleas ALL off. Something that kills eggs too.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I left for Iraq and when I came back almost 8 months latter we were infested! So angry. we bombed the house several times. I think it was because of the people my husband had come over and thier house was infested with fleas. We bombed the house like 10 times and used flea and tick meds and gave them capstar every week. Also flea and tick shampoo. GL. Its so hard to get rid of fleas. I am glad we didn't have carpet. Oh and vacuum your house carpet or no carpet and there is powder for the yard we used as well and around the doors and windows to keep them away. We did it all and finallly after a few months they were gone.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Oh My! Go to the vet and get Advantage!!! You apply the product to the back of your kitties' heads where they can't lick and within 12 hours all fleas living on them will die. As flea eggs in the environment hatch and jump back on the pets, they come into contact with the product and they too will die. You'll need to apply it monthly for at least 3 months, maybe longer depending on where you live, to break the cycle and get rid of all the eggs in your home. Wash bedding, vacuum, sweep etc to get rid of as many eggs as possible! Good luck!
    dogdoc

Answer by dogdoc at 10:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Borax works wonders--this is what we used. It's in a box on the detergent aisle. It dehydrates fleas and sterilizes them. Shake it on your carpet or floors after you have vacuumed well. Do it on your couches too and wash your bed lines well. Take a broom and use it to brush the Borax into the carpet well. Let it sit for overnight or all day. Fleas will be gone in that day. Trust me. I never saw 1 again. Put your pets somewhere like in a laundry room. Then you'll have to treat the laundry room separately. Make sure to bathe your animals and get the fleas all off. Something that kills eggs too
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2011