Anyone know or own a Dogo Argentino (better known as simply Dogo, or Argentinian Mastiff)?

We just got a 6 week old puppy, and aside from what I've gotten off of dog-info. websites, I don't know much about them.

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 11:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Pets

• and they were specifically bred for hunting bore, or is it boar?

oh and how DARE you take apup before its 8 weeks!!! if you dont train them, they will get mean!! seriously?(MUCH sarcasm in voice) ANY dog has the potential for being nice or mean..NOT Just the dogo. like this lady personally knows you and Know's you cant handle that type of dog. nowadays, where else, besides the internet, are you actually going to get information? especially when you don't know where to start looking? im sure you already know this, just make srue pup is up to date on shots...especially parvo!! GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:08 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• nope never heard of them
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:53 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Why on earth would get a breed like the Dogo without doing any research? They are a large breed guard based dog. THEY NEED a job to do or they will find one themselves and it will likely be one you won't like. They need an alpha owner, meaning YOU need to let them know that you are the boss, or they will decide they are and it will turn out badly for you. You MUST start training them early, it must be consistent training and it must be positive training. Meaning, DO NOT, hit your dog, scream at him, kick him, beat him or abuse him. They are NOT a dog to be dumped in the backyard without any interaction...this will cause aggression issues and you WILL have a dangerous animal on your hands if you do that.

cont
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Additionally, obviously the breeder you got him from was a backyard one, because NO reputable breeder will let a puppy go before 8 weeks....if it wasn't a BYB it was a pet store.

There are tons of websites you can go go....there aren't many breeders of the DOGO but you can check google to see what you can up with. HEre are two links you can use , and, in the future do your research.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dogo.htm

http://www.dogoargentino.com/

http://www.dogo.com/

Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Thanks, I guess. As I said in the OP, I DID do my research. Guess you missed that. I was looking for personal accounts.
    DusterMommy

Comment by DusterMommy (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• You said :aside from info I've gotten off dog websites, I don't know much about them. That, to me, says very little research. If you had done some research you'd know that six weeks was far too young for that pup to have left it's mom. She is still teaching them several things, she is still keeping them warm, as pups at that age can't regulate their own body temperature. She is still allowing them to feed from her, she is teaching them bite inhibition, some house training.

I'm sorry if I am being a cow, but large breed working dogs are not for everyone. They need a consistent owner who will not let the dog "take over" I own a large breed working dog. He is a finished Champion, he is also a Canine Good Neighbour, he is Temperament tested, he is also Herding Instinct Certified. He is all those things because I train him consistently.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• con't,

Everything we do can be tied into a training excercise. Which is what a Dogo will need. You need to make sure you are and hte dog knows you are, alpha. Get the dog involved in a job, have him get the paper, or you can get him some toys and teach him to put his toys away.

I'm just saying consistent, constant, everyday training and reinforcing of the rules. DO NOT lock the dog in the backyard, or a kennel or something similar. Do NOT hit the dog or abuse it in any form or you will have an aggressive, large breed dangerous animal that you will not be able to control. DO contact breeders and ask them for help....they are your best resource.

And, if you get another dog, or dogo never ever before 8 weeks of age.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• We got the dog early because it's mother died. So there ya go.

Also, I'm not asking for how it needs to be trained. I've been the owner of both a Pit Bull Terrier and a German Shepherd. All I was asking for were some personal accounts of people who have owned a Dogo.

Since you don't seem to have what I'm looking for, further response from you isn't necessary.
    DusterMommy

Comment by DusterMommy (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• ive never owned one, but briefly researched them...i REALLY want one..but i dont think i could deal with the fact that they only live to around 7 yrs...its a genetic defect that has to do with them being pure white.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:00 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• 6 weeks is too young to have a puppy away from it's mother.

Aside from that, there should be a real shortage of female dogs for the amount of people that come on here and say the reason they had the pup at six weeks is because the female died. I've seen it on here lots and lots of times.

They were bred specifically for hunting boar...which translates into a large, powerful breed that needs an owner who knows what they are doing. But, I do agree with what you said, ANY dog has the ability to become aggressive, especially those dogs who are purchased on a whim by a person who doesn't know what they are doing.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2011