Do you feel odd/awkward/uneasy/or even just taken back when a dad goes to a play group?

just wondering...my SO goes to some of the play groups with my son, especially when its been rainy and he just wants to get out with our son, or he even just stops in the last 15 or so minutes and play with the kids and see how his son interracts and what not. Just wondering if that is awkward for moms, because it took some warming up for some of the newer moms who aren't used to him popping in here and there. I think that maybe they thought dads weren't allowed, or it was a 'moms' group, which it isn't. But only one other husband has attended a group and it's really a rarity for either guy to attend, but it happens. Just wondering what honest thoughts are if the groups you have gone to has been primarilty moms and then a dad shows up/.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 12:54 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not at all. Dads often have interesting perspectives

Answer by rkoloms at 10:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Someone at church is a stay at home dad, and he really creeps us out...not because he's male, but because he's really creepy! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No. I love it. My DH goes with our DD whenever I can't, and when I can go we ALWAYS go together. I welcome the together time.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:54 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, but I think it really depends on the group. I'm part of a moms group that is strictly moms, so when a dad has shown up unannounced, it hasn't gone over well. When that's not the case, I don't see an issue, especially in times like this where there are more and more SAHDs.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:58 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• @anon...some people are just creepy by nature....lol I hope he's not a real creep ya know?
    But Yeah, my SO isn't a stay at home dad, just doesn't have to actually leave the house to work as much as some people
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• not at all
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:39 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I usually don't think anything of it, and I don't really understand why anyone would honestly.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My poor husband is treated very badly by the mothers in our daughter's Kindergarten class. I'm a thousand months pregnant and on bed rest, so he goes to Kindergarten events without me. He's tried to talk with them and set up playdates and things, and they either ignore him or they're outright hostile to him! And he's very hurt by their behavior because he doesn't understand why they treat him this way, and frankly neither do I. He's great with kids, the Kindergarten teacher loves it when he's there, and even though he is a very tall, large person, he's soft-spoken and sweet to everyone, so what could be the problem?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:54 AM on Feb. 26, 2011