I took my 2 year old son to the hospital today, he had blue lips for an hour but was not cold and didnt eat anything, they said everything was normal. Anyone else experience this?

I took my 2 year old to the hospital today. I made breakfast and he ate 4 pancakes. As I was eating I looked at him and noticed his lips were purple. I know he didnt eat a marker or candy or anything because he likes to sit with me in the kitchen while I cook and he came in and layed with me this morning when he woke up. I wrapped him in his blanket thinking he was cold and an hour later his lips were not as purple but were still blue. I called my grandfather who is a doc and asked him what he thought. He told me to take him to the ER. So I did. They did a pulse ox (95 to 100 the whole time), a chest x ray, and an ekg. They have no idea. Everything was normal. Later we got locked out of our apartment but thankfully our apartment has a library on wheels come every 2 weeks and today was its day to come. We got to sit in the warm bus instead of out in the cold because stupid mommy pregnancy brain locked her house keys in the car. My husband came and got us out of the bus and we went into our place. I noticed my daughters lips were blue at that point but she was freezing (it was only 20 here today). I wrapped her up and it went away. My son all of a sudden the center of his bottom lip was purple again. I wrapped him up again and it really never went away. I am worried but they said everything is normal. Has anyone else gone through this?

mrssmitley1210

Asked by mrssmitley1210 at 1:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Health

• When DS was about 2 1/2 he would get a blue tinge to his lips.....not all the time, every once in awhile...we ended up going to the pediatrician and then to a pediatric cardiologist... They found nothing....he hasn't had it happen lately but I remember being so scared and feeling helpless. I was always taught blue on a child equals something bad.....but apparently not. I would however make him a pediatrician appointment and go talk to them about it, it is better safe than sorry and I have always been told unless a pediatric cardiologist looks at the report, there are still room for problems to present. This is why they have the pediatrics and why regular specialists won't see small children. Good Luck hun, I know this can be frustrating.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My inclination is to trust your instincts and keep looking for answers until you are satisfied. Sounds like they did a pretty good work-up at the ER, so that's good, but watch him VERY closely until you somehow figure out what's going on there.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:31 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Im just worried becase I know heart issues run in my husbands side of the family. I didnt get to see the x rays (my moms a radiologist and tought me to read) and I thought it was strange they did it in his ER room but they said the EKG was normal too.
    mrssmitley1210

Comment by mrssmitley1210 (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Sometimes when having a blue cast to a baby could just be the blood has an underlying blue cast instead of the pink color cause that has more oxygen. In most cases its normal and harmless and as long it is temporary.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:34 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Good luck
    1Angeland3Girls

Answer by 1Angeland3Girls at 4:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2011