Can I get a little info on girl Scouts?

My daughter is turning 5 in a week and wants to be a girl scout. Anyone have any info for me?

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 1:53 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just signed my seven-year-old up. It's like $12.00 a year, and I signed up and paid online. Then I called the number from the website, this receptionist gave my information to the troop leader and she called me back. They meet every other Thursday up here, but that might be different. They have their meetings and everything, plus there are other acitivities you can sign up for. The cost is really nice, most of the extra activites were less than $20, I think the most expensive one was like $24
    frombong2mom

Answer by frombong2mom at 12:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• What exactly do you want to know? My daughter has been in for 3 years and she loves it. Sometimes it's a little draining on ME though, but our leader is a little overzealous.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:46 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I am just giving you a heads up. My daughter was in there for three years she loved it. Then her leader, not knowing about it either, found out they were partnered with Planned Parenthood. They took a group of ten year olds to a meeting giving them info about it. Don't get me wrong I am not totally against it. But in my opinion , I don't think it's right for an organiztion like that to be talking to 10 year old girls about birth control and abortions without our knowing. Just google Girl Scouts and P.P. All kinds of stuff will come up. Good luck!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Anon - that is not normal and not appropriate> I am a girl scout leader and all of my parents know our schedule at the first parent meeting of the year, including field trips.

OP - You need to call your local council and tell them you want to sign up and they will have someone from your local unit call you and find a troop that will work for you and your dd. If you want more specifics, please feel free to pm me.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Thanks for the info everyone!
    dragonqueen

Comment by dragonqueen (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2011