Women who birth at home/have birthed at home. Or birth unassisted/have birthed unassisted are selfish!

Any woman who wants to birth at home or have an unassisted birth. Has a me-first selfish mindset. Since when is a woman's sense of comfort and ease MORE important than even one baby's life? If babies had a choice of where to be born it would be in a professional prenatal/maternal and neonatal medical setting like a Hospital!

Your lifestyle choice does not make you a hero, it makes you an ill-informed moron prepared to gamble on your child's life just to prove a point. You don't get any medals.

I'm a tree-hugging animal-loving hippy. But my daughter was born in a fine private hospital under the best obstetric care possible, as there was no way on earth I was going to risk her life or health just because Mummy would have felt more comfy at home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• First, let me say that both my babies were born at a hospital under Dr's care, and I'm glad, because there were complications with them both (though different ones with each). HOWEVER, I do have to say that I think your statement is unfair and very narrow minded. After all, this is a very slippery slope that you're starting down... For example, while both my kids were born in hospitals, they were born in fairly rural places - especially my ds. We were stationed on a small island in the Bering Sea, and it was 3 hrs by plane to the nearest city (Anchorage). While he was delivered by an OB, the "hospital" was a very small clinic. Does that make me selfish, because there wasn't a neonatal facility there? Should I have left the island when I knew I was pg? If so, then what about the possible risks involved with flying while pg?

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• cont

What about women who choose to give birth in a birthing center, with trained, experienced midwives on hand - are you saying that this is less safe than, say, a woman who is delivering her child and she's in a hospital where the Dr might be training someone, so the "Dr" that delivers her baby is a Resident or Intern, or is very inexperienced or is otherwise incompetent? (btw, I should add my dh's cousin is an OB, I have no problem with them - just that being a Dr doesn't make you capable - there are good ones and bad ones...)

In short, just because something is the right choice for you and your baby, I think that your statement comes across as very holier than thou and judgmental, and I hope you re-think it, because not every woman is in your situation.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• well back n the day of the caveman, adam and eve and even now other under developed countries, they dont have nice fancy hospitals... so women dont really need that do they...
    u really only need it if ur pregnancy is highrisk... ask a dr. and quit ranting on here
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 7:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Wow!

I'm wondering--who are you to judge?

Now. I'm a wimp and would no way consider giving birth at home, but that doesn't mean I don't support others trying it if they are making an informed decision.

Get over yourself, please.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Although I think women that birth at home or naturally are a little crazy - I like pain meds, I do think your statement is a little offensive. I can see your reason behind the rant, but are you saying this to try to deter other mom's to go to the hospital? or are you mad at someone who did this and it went horribly wrong? Some moms are scared of the medical system these days that rushes your pregnancy along causing unnessary c-sections - which could have happened to me - I'm not sure what would've happened if I refused the petocin waited to see what progress naturally. It's hard for a 1st time mom in labor to make her own decisions when she is in pain and the doctors say to do one thing or another.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• wow. i would never birth at home or alone due to being afraid something would go wrong but who are you to be judge and jury?
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Sorry I agree with the mom's comments above.. Its not right to judge ppl cause they want to bring their child into the world in the home they will be raised in. The mom's go in knowing things can go wrong. I wanted to do a water birth, but I changed my mind and glad I did cause my daughter will more the likely need the NICU when she is born. Either way like I said before.. its not right to judge like that, shows you can be an extremely heartless person. UGH, its so sad your only thinking of yourself in your post, so your just as selfish as you claim these women are that want to birth at home.. if you ask me.
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 10:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Do you think midwives aren't qualified to take care of newborn babies or don't know when it's time to go to the hospital? I would trust having a baby at home with a midwife, especially here where I live 15 minutes from the hospital. I do question people who have unassisted births, but still it's their decision and I wouldn't consider it "selfish" How do you know a baby would want to be born at a hospital? Maybe the baby would like to be born in the peace and quiet of their own home where they won't be blinded with lights and poked at and taken off to a nursery to be bathed and poked more for an hour.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Good luck with this one, is all I can say.

My first birth was supposed to be in a hospital, but he came very quickly and therefore was born at home with no interventions or assistance other than the 911 operator and a medical textbook. If I had tried to get to the hospital, it's likely that he would have been born on the side of the road with nobody to help at all! Does that make ME selfish? As for being informed, most homebirth and freebirthers are more educated than the average mother on birth.
    I think that YOU are the ignorant one, OP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• http://www.gentlebirth.org/format/myths.html

just taking one quick moment i found this site above. maybe you might want to take a look?

4 out of my 5 children were born at home. my home is so much cleaner than a hospital! where do all the sick people go? to the hospital! there are no "air scrubbers" why would i subject a newborn to all the germs in a hospital? it is more comfortable to birth at home, which allows for fewer complications during birth.

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2011