What should i do?

Hello,

My month old son is having trouble doing #2 and been cryin alot. This started yesterday when he does go it really thick like plaito. Should i give him water for something i already tried the knee to chest thing and doesnt seem to work. Cant get him in the doctor until Monday.. So what are some other options, so my little man can go without hurtin..

mthomas817

Asked by mthomas817 at 5:36 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my son was little and he would get sonstipated the doctor told me to put a little karo syrup in his bottle. a tsp.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:15 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• It is normal for babies that age to go up to every 10 days. I wouldn't give him anything. It's not constipation unless it's hard and pebbly. Maybe he's gassy? Try Mylecon drops.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• We dealt with this with both of our kids. My son was much worse. We had to use a suppository on him...My daughter, we give juice. He pediatrician said we could use karo syrup in the bottle. I remember trying it with my son, but it didn't work. Juice has worked with my daughter. It gets better once they start moving around more.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 7:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Karo is a botulism risk and can be deadly in infants. It is NEVER recommended for an infants use.

I agree with mompam it sounds more like gas then constipation.  Have you tried baby massage?

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Karo syrup is unlikely to contain botulism, but the reason doctors usually no longer recommend it is because it no longer contains the same chemical composition that it contained so many years ago when it was recommended and most likely will not do the same thing.  ( this is what I was told last year by my pediatrician )

Have you tried putting him in a warm bath and massaging the abdomen?  That might help. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Have you tried putting Karo syrup in his formula? That is a good laxative for babies.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 12:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• is he formula fed or breast fed?
    if formula, are you using the right amount of water?
    if breast fed, are you offering enough feedings?
    i would not give water, because your baby will be missing out on nutrients, and i would not do juice, because no baby needs that sugar. if you are formula feeding, you may want to consider changing formulas.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Well he just went number two a little bit ago. This time it wasnt as thick as before all i could see is like little strings of poop. Like strings here and there, it was weird i never seen it before. Its like he pooped out water with strings or something. i been givin him that AR formula because he was spitin up alot. Im just worried that hes not ok or something i hate seein my kids in pain..
    mthomas817

Comment by mthomas817 (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• is the poo green? maybe he has a little infection?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• yeah its green but i thought thats normal for a month old.
    mthomas817

Comment by mthomas817 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2011