Cell phone in school

yesterday my son got his phone taken away at school, which i totally understand because he is not allowed to have during school hours. I did tell him that he knew better.
My complaint is that when the Asst Principal took it she decided to go through it all, looking at his text messages, pictures, and contacts. then questioning him what this meant.
Whould you be upset? I think she had every right to take the phone but shouldn't have went through it all. he wasnt using it he had it in his pocket.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 6:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You have the right to go thru your child's cell phone. NOT the school. I agree with them taking it away but they went to far. If they thought there was any kind of threat, they should have given it to you and YOU look thru it.They crossed the line!!
    tac50cat

Answer by tac50cat at 1:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Once they confiscated the contriband, they were allowed to search it.
    If he wants his privacy respected, he should follow the rules.
    As his parent, you should teach him to respect the rules, not help him look for loopholes.
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 8:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, He was in the wrong by having his phone but that is not her property and should not have went through it I would def. have a talk wiht this women...
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• The Assist. Principal had the right and obligation to ensure your son (no matter how you feel about him) isn't texting to cheat, cause a problem or start a fight. As a teacher, I don't like doing anything like this, but in the days we live in, people see the boogie man around every corner. I don't go through phones that I take though I could. Ultimately, it is his responsibility to have his phone off and put away until after school hours. The SCOTUS has ruled that students, being underage, do not enjoy the some level of protection of 4th Amendment against search and seizure.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I think its ok, i mean they are allowed to search their property such as backpacks, purse, locker and i guess in this case a phone.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I don't think that's right. We would be mad.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, I think they have the right. If he hadn't been caught with it and he had followed the rules they never would have looked for it. It is a selective way that they can do some checking into if some people are plotting threats against the school or other individuals. It's also checking into cheating.
    We did this at our school once and the mom was glad when we told HER to look at it. He was texting malicious comments and threats against his mother to his friends. She got him into counseling.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• She shouldn't have went through his phone that is invading his privacy.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 12:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would talk to the principal about it. I wouldn't have a problem with it. He shouldn't have anything on there that the principal couldn't see. Plus, it sounds like the principal was checking to see if he had been using it during school hours. Rules are rules.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• me personlly, i would prefer my dsughtrr havn a cellphone all the time, i dont sgree w the schools not allowing it. if theyre not on it during class theyre dhould b no problems especially if they can prove they have good grades....
    as for the asst princp. going through ur kids phone, he had no reason to and unless its public property belongn to the schhol he had no right....
    its the parents who have that right...
    if anything go and confront him and ask why u thought it was so crucial to go through my sons phone and then innterogate him... tskn the phone was fine if thats the rules but not going through it.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 7:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2011