Who was your first political hero? Why did he/she catch your attention?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 6:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Thomas Jefferson, and I was 7. He won my heart when I read "Grand Papa and Ellen Aroon". I was so charmed by the book that I just couldn't get enough of him. I was really interested in him for years.....still am. He was fascinating and not just politically.

Thanks OP for the nostalgia this morning. I think I may have to dig that book out of my cedar chest and give it a read again. I checked it out of the library so many times the librarian gave it to me when I was 10 or 11. My, she was a wonderful lady..thanks again OP.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I've known about John McCann since his POW days. His bio that began to run during the campaign gave more information about the USS Forrestal explosion/fire, and all the details about being a POW in Hanoi makes him a hero. It isn't because of his politics. It is because of his actions and sacrifice for our country. That makes him a hero whether he had ever stepped foot into the political arena or not.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• OP/legalmommy--

I would say Reagan. McCain from his POW years earns my utmost respect--however, politically not as much.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:37 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• JFK "And so my fellow Americans; Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

***
    As someone who grew up 3 homes away from JFK's birthplace, and is well aware of the history of the Kennedy clan, it is just well rehearsed, meaningless, and hypocritical rhetoric that has long worn thin.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:04 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I have honestly never had a political hero. I can't trust anyone in politics. But as a child you always think the president is great...so I would have to say Ronald Reagan.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 6:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Politics and heroes are two completely different categories for me. Politicians lie (all of them) and I don't see liars as heroes. I can however acknowledge their individual military service as an act of heroism.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:33 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Never thought about any politicians being my hero. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Politicians are not heros. Some are better than others but none qualify as heroes to me.

First responders, soldiers and their peers are the true heroes.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:28 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• President Ronald Reagan. He was elected when I was in high school,just old enough to start becoming interested in politics. I was so impressed with Mr. Reagan, and his stand for family, values, and the fact he was not ashamed to let everyone know God was the one truly in charge. I miss him so much! This country is in DIRE need of another Reagan, NOW!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Political Hero? Isn't that an oxymoron and a myth?

I have never had one and most likely never will because I don't trust the lying, money-sucking leeches. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2011