Do you strive to be an educated parent or do you fly with what you learned from your parents or others?

I am asking because as a parent I have read every book, article, and taken classes, to be the very best parent I could be. Not to mention I like to see all different views on everything including parenting.
I have seen some very uniformed answers to questions on here. I think that the sad part IMO is the person is seeking accurate info and are not getting it, but the people that are answering Believe that they are right without Knowing they are. The person that asks the question doesnt know the difference.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• I know I can always be better and learn more...no matter how comfortable I may feel in my parenting style.

I agree with you about the ignorance that runs rampant around here. I am by no means perfect or the most intelligent person on earth but I am OPEN to ideas. See, that's where people go wrong. They don't know how to keep an open mind and really listen to another's point of view.

Like the first poster here. Instantly defensive and come on...that is just ignorant.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• So do you have perfect kids? because you "know" so much?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• No, I mostly wanted to know if you strive to be an informed parent, NO ONE is perfect, just informed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I have read many books and articles on parenting. I have watched alot of videos and talked to all kinds of different types of parents but in the end, alot of the advice doesn't even work. I have to trust my gut instincts when it comes to my kids. I take bits and pieces, here and there, and then use that info when I need it. I am not sure if my kids will be the best that they can be due to my parenting, all I know is that I am trying my hardest and that is all that I can do. Sometimes books, and articles, and classes don't make up for real life experience. IMO.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 2:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i jsut do the opisit of what my parents did to me and well everyone says im a great mother so i guess i did the right thing and i hav enever read books or taken classes non of that its a waste of time a book cant tell you what to do for a sudden problem
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 3:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• parenting just like life, is not black and white, there are shades of gray in between. What one article and book says there could be another with a different view it doesnt mean that one is better then the other, it just means its different, and different isnt bad. i try to be a better parent then mine were, and I think they tried for the same things and I think my children will try to be better then me.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 7:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• For me, I can't separate parenting from my educational level. I am a professional therapist and have worked with families and children. In fact, I taught parenting classes. So to say that I have read some articles or a few books in an understatement. I spent years, and still am, learning how to work with families, diagnosis mental illnesses, and working with many diverse families. As well as working with trauma, violence, schools, terminal illness...ect. I know that my parenting skills are above average so to speak. That doesn't mean I'm perfect but I don't doubt my skills or knowledge. And yes, there are mothers on here who do offer dangerous suggestions based off of their opinion but not based on sound and accurate information.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I guess I'm not an imformed parent because I never read the baby books, I raise my kids how I see fit.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• People who are proud of being uneducated or lazy will be proud of their uneducated and/or lazy approach to parenting. They will strive to get others to do what they do so as to stroke their decision to be lazy and/or uneducated.

On the other hand, taking parenting advice from a board like Cafemom without doing a little research on your own from credible sources (you're already connected to the web, afterall...) is a little lazy and uneducated in itself, ya know?
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think it is great that you want to be the best parent you can be. I do too. But I told myself I was not reading any books on the subject. I think a lot of it is complete bull and there are so many different opinions and "methods" to do things. I take each day as it comes and be the best parent I can be. If I have a problem or something is wrong, I will speak to her Pedi. I wouldn't consider myself un-informed though. Think of all the children that were raised over thousands and thousands of years with out the help of books. I just do not think they are necessary FOR ME. But like I said, do whatever works best and makes YOU feel more comfortable. I hope my answer does not come off as rude or unhelpful. It isn't meant to be.

I do think you are going to get a lot of defensive ansers on this question though.
    VastVeranda

Answer by VastVeranda at 10:44 AM on Nov. 20, 2008