Why am I being so stingy?

I feel horrible!!! I don't want anyone but ME to hold or cuddle my newborn. I even have a hard time letting my hubby have "baby time". It's not that I don't trust anyone, I just want him all to myself. Right now my husband is asleep with our sleeping baby on his chest and I sooo badly want to reach over and take him away so I can hold him. I let someone else hold him and I want him back within minutes.. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem???? =(

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 2:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• you need to share mama. i know it's hard right now but you may really need and want the help later so try not to alienate people. I am sure your baby is so adorable, everyone wants a piece of him so congrats on that!!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Oh hun those are definetly normal feelings, but the 1st poster is right you need to share esp with the daddy! You have this perfect little being that came from the two of you of course you want the baby all the time but daddy's also like have that special time as well. Take a picture of the 2 of them I bet it would be really cute
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I felt like that too with my first daughter. Especially when she would cry and people just didn't know how to soothe her. I wanted my daughter to be close to me and not anyone else. I wanted every moment. I think however you should let your son get use to and bond with his daddy. then slowly other people. I have separation anxiety from my children, sometimes I feel like there ready but I'm not wuite ready to separate so much from them. Good luck!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Ahhhhh..........I remember those days. Felt so good. Very normal mommy. Enjoy it, they grow so fast. Congratulations on your new baby boy!
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 4:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Oh yes, The hormones are really beating you up right now. Dang baby blue!!!! I hated them but it's something that can't be helped. They hit people in different ways. Yours is a a separation anxiety thing going on, I'm sure. I mean you carried your DS in your body for 9 months then within minutes he's outside. Some mom's get worried they could get germs and end up sick from others touching they're baby. Some germs actually build up the immunity. And when she gets older, dirt don't hurt. Keeping them to clean can make them a sickly child. Other's think of over stimulation to the baby. You need to share the baby though. Even if it's just for short moments. Especially with daddy. He needs bonding time too. And Like said above me. Take lots of pictures. You will love going back and looking at them. Good luck sweety.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 4:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• NORMAL, but you have to share, hee hee.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I was that way with my first! But I really didn't share much! :D I wanted him every minute I could! :D I think it's normal, but in hindsight, I should have shared more! :D
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Totally normal girl! My first three their dad was not a big help...so when I had my last two with a man that actually wants to hold them I did not know what to do with myself. So I bit my tounge and let him have them...it was hard! You are blessed to have a man who wants to be a part of this experience. And it is a sign you are a good mama because you want to be with your baby all the time. Is this your first? No love affair like the one you have with your first! My first is now 23 and I still love the crap outa him! lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• lol...I'm the opposite of these girls about sharing. I never had to share my daughter because I was alone with her, but I loved holding her all the time. The only thing I can say is that it will pass! There will come a time not to long from now when you want to have your hands back and get up to do something without a baby attached to you.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• awww.... i was the same way! i felt like a part of me was missing when someone else was holding her. even now, if she is in a different room, i try to finish whatever i'm doing quickly so i can be around her. the first time i had to let someone watch her (i had to go to the ER for myself), i sobbed horribly. i am extremely attached.... but i think that is normal with a first child. i also think if you are a stay at home mom that it is easy to become that way as well. i am great about her and daddy getting their time together now though. in fact, when he comes home from work, i'll plop her in her daddy's lap for as long as he wants her!

share her with daddy, but everyone else can wait until you are ready. and you can always use the TRUE, but GOOD excuse, that before two months of age that a baby should not be handled by many people or in large crowds because of their immature immune systems.

enjoy that kiddo!
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2008