Do you teach your children kindness and empathy to others or in order to

survive and get ahead you step on anyone in your way?

Justmom223

Asked by Justmom223 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, we teach them kindness and compassion and to be helpful(of service)to others when they can.
    We teach them to respect everything and everyone and to think actions through and realize not everyone is like them therefore they cant expect others to do it just like them or believe the same things,etc. They are being taught that they should always treat others as they'd like to be treated.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Neither. We teach kindness & empathy toward others b/c it's the right thing to do.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• ...because it's the right thing to do, but yes, I think compassion is a necessity for us to survive.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."~Dalai Lama

"Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion."~Dalai Lama
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• We teach empathy & kindness but, we also teach that you don't have to accept being treated poorly. You can be understanding of a person without allowing yourself to be a victim of them.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I teach my kids to respects others and to always think about how they would feel if someone did that to you, but i also teach them to stand up for themselves.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I'm proud to say, I've raised four children to adulthood that are compassionate, kind, caring, responsible individuals. From a very young age, I taught them do unto others as you would have them do undo you. I find some of the attitudes on here lack simple values. I wonder if they were taught empathy and kindness as children?
    Justmom223

Comment by Justmom223 (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• treat others how you watn to be treated!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I teach my daughter (3 y/o) to be thankful and use manners (please and thank you). She is very empathetic on her own. When someone is hurt or sad she feels for them and is encouraging, always saying, It'll be alright! With a smile on her face. I try to teach her kindness and patience by example.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• We teach kindness and empathy because it is the right thing to do. We teach hard work and determination pays off, but they shouldn't gloat or be mean about it, rather offer suggestions to others to help them as well and that the greatest reward is a job well done. (And tere may be a new Littlest Pet Shop toy in it for them if they're really good)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I taught my kids kindness and compassion and not to ever step on anyone!

Answer by older at 11:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2011