I love having a housekeeper but...

I wish she were a little more "OCD" about organization. I even labeled what drawers things go in, just for her, because I get tired of finding my son's shirts in his pajama drawer, pants in his shirts drawer, and shorts and pants mixed.

Yes, I am one of those people who alphabetized my DVD and bluray collection...and if we occasionally leave a DVD on the console, is it too much to ask for her to put it back into the right alphabetical location? I organized it so I wouldn't have to look through the entire console for a particular DVD, so it drives me nuts when I can't find it because it's out of order.

Sigh...I know, it's me....

Anyone else have this problem with housekeepers?

ladymomtraveler

Asked by ladymomtraveler at 9:10 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Did you tell her what you expect in terms of keeping to your rules? Because that would be a good idea.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Nope- B/C I am the housekeeper. And whenever I mix up clothing between my boys & husb & they complain about it- I just tell them to fire the maid! That usually shuts them up! :p (*So same advice for you- either talk to her about your concerns, afterall she is working for you, or get a new one. Or do it yourself. I'm sure many of us here wish we had the dilema you are having! -lol)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, I did in the beginning, but I haven't told her in a while. I like her as a person, and I also like the way she treats my son, so I'm not too keen on replacing her...but sometimes I just do not understand how she can mix the things up that she does.
    ladymomtraveler

Comment by ladymomtraveler (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I came back, because I have an idea. How about putting together a checklist for your housekeeper that outlines what you expect? If I was a housekeeper, I'd appreciate having an accountability record. You don't need to be rude or mean about broaching the subject with her, just say that having a record would make you happy. It sure wouldn't be hard to put something together, and it's not like running down a list takes a lot of time.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Pick your battles. You could also tell her to put the clothes on the bed and you could put them away as you want. It sounds like she is well worth keeping if you like her and she treats your son well. Those are huge plusses.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I think if you have OCD tendencies, cleaning your own home might be best. I had a cleaner many years ago, but they did not do a better job than me...if I am paying someone, I expect better results then I can provide, or else, why bother?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Sister act, you are definitely right there, but right now, both my husband and I work about 60 hrs a week, so our house will never get to the standard that I would like...hence the housekeeper, to help me out.
    ladymomtraveler

Comment by ladymomtraveler (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2011